Sean (Pedro) and Adam (Enrique) take on an American favorite, the Burrito. And this cylindrical Mexican treat has definitely gone wild, or loco as they say en Español. Pedros in charge of the chicken version and Enrique prepares a vegetarian alternative. Either one is gonna satisfy your hunger and then some. Olay!
|Flour tortillas||4 Large (Burrito|
|Black beans||29 Ounce , drained, rinsed (2 cans of 14.5 oz)|
|Cooked white rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Jack, cheddar, and/or colby cheese||4 Cup (64 tbs) , shredded|
|Red onion||1 Medium , finely chopped|
|Garlic cloves||2 , finely chopped|
|Diced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (or To Taste)|
|Lime juice||To Taste|
|Avocado||2 , slice (drizzle with lime juice to keep fresh)|
|Cooked chicken breasts||2 , shredded|
|Cooked crispy bacon strips||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) , crumbled|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|For sean's pico de gallo|
|Tomatoes||4 Large , seeded and chopped (out of season, 2 cans diced tomatoes work just fine|
|Jalapenos||2 , seeded and chopped (leave in the seeds if y’all like it spicy)|
|Red onion||1/2 Medium , finely chopped|
|Lime||2 , juiced|
|Cilantro||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) , chopped finely|
|Spice mix or chili powder||1 Dash (Sean used Tajin)|
|Salt & pepper||To Taste|
|Veggie substitute for chicken|
|Red potatoes||4 , boiled and diced|
1. Pre-heat Oven to Broil or Highest temperature.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil. Once hot, add the onion and sauté until just translucent, about 5-6 minutes. Add in the garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds until fragrant (until you can smell it, bro).
3. Next goes the beans and rice. Add in a 1/4 cup or so of water to create some steam. Once the water has pretty much evaporated, add in the chipotle peppers (if you’re a wimp when it comes to spicy go easy on these as they’re smokin’ hot), then add in the shredded chicken (substitute potatoes if you’re veggie).
4. Season with your preferred amount of salt & pepper, stir to combine and heat through, about 2-3 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, over a burner on a gas stove on super low heat, warm your tortillas just so they’re pliable (aka won’t rip when you assemble your burritos). If you don’t have a gas stove, wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave for a few seconds until just warm. Don’t over it Dude, or they’ll be a soggy mess.
6. Lay a tortilla flat and add in 1/4 of the mix in the center, a large spoonful of Sean’s Pico de Gallo (recipe to follow), about 1/4 cup cheese, 1/4 of the bacon (if using), a couple-three avocado slices, then fold in the sides, roll over one half, tuck under the mix and fold over the other side (watch the video to see how Sean does it, NOT Adam - he effs it up.).
7. Place burritos seam-side-down on a baking sheet (line with foil or parchment paper so clean up is lickety-split) and top with 1/2 cup of cheese.
8. Place under the broiler for no more than 5 minutes until the cheese melts and just begins to form a crust. Keep an eye on this or you’ll have burritos from hell…get it?
9. To serve, place each burrito on a plate and top with more pico de gallo, a little more cheese and some hot sauce if you’re feeling spicy. You’ll probably need a fork.
For the Veggie version, use potatoes and omit the Bacon.
For Sean's Pico De Gallo
1. In a medium-sized bowl thoroughly combine all the ingredients, cover and set aside for about 20 minutes. If you want to make this ahead of time, just cover and keep in the fridge.
2. Be sure to take it out once you’re ready to start cooking so it’s not ice cold inside / on top of your burrito masterpiece.
If you don’t like chunky salsa, try sticking the whole shebang in the blender and purée until smooth. Makes a great dip for chips too, bro.
Calories 1349Calories from Fat 575
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 66 g101.5%
Saturated Fat 31 g155%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 1603 mg66.79%
Total Carbohydrates 126 g42%
Dietary Fiber 23 g92%
Sugars 8 g
Protein 70 g140%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 10792Calories from Fat 4600
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 528 g812%
Saturated Fat 248 g1240%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 12824 mg534.32%
Total Carbohydrates 1008 g336%
Dietary Fiber 184 g736%
Sugars 64 g
Protein 560 g1120%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet