The cemita is a sandwich originally from Puebla, Mexico. The name refers to the bread roll it is served on as well.Although the name is the same, there are diverse types of cemitas depending on the region. The cemita of Sahuayo, Michoacán, is a smooth bread, without sesame seeds and including piloncillo. Its flavor is somewhat sweet and very flavorful usually it is accompanied by a glass of milk, a cornflour drink (atole), or some sort of hot drink. It is not used like a sandwich.
|Cumin seeds||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Cinnamon stick||1 Small|
|Mexican oregano||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Cider vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Anchove chillies||1 Large|
|Ground pepper||To Taste|
|Pork slices||1 Pound , pounded|
|White onion||1 , sliced into rings|
|Plump tomatoes||1 , sliced|
|Cilantro||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) , chopped finely|
|Mozzarella cheese||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) , shaved|
|Canola oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Burger buns||4 , sliced horizontally|
To Marinate the Pork
1. Remove the stems and seeds out of the chillies.
2. Heat a dry pan on medium, put the chillies and toast them till they begin to smell and heat up. Takes about 1 minute.
3. Transfer them into a bowl of hot water and soak for about 20 minutes.
4. In the same frying pan, add cumin, peppercorn, cloves and cinnamon stick. Toast them on medium heat till they are fragrant. Transfer them into a dry bowl.
5. In a blender put the soaked chillies, garlic cloves, cider vinegar, toasted spices, oregano, salt, pepper, 1/3 cup of soaking liquid. Blend them till smooth. Scrape down the sides of the blender and continue to blend till smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning if required. Transfer into a bowl. Set aside.
6. Take a pork slice, spread the chilli sauce on both the sides and place the next slice on top and spread the marinade. Continue the layering and spreading the marinade to all the slices. Wrap the slices in a plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator for around 2 hours at least (the longer the better).
For Avocado Spread/ Guacamole
7. In a bowl, scoop the avocados. Using a potato masher and mash them till smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well. Set aside.
8. Remove the marinated pork from the fridge.
9. Heat a frying pan with canola oil on medium high heat. Place the pork slices in it, season with salt and pepper and cook for around 5 minutes on each side, or till the pork is done. Repeat this to as many slices as required.
10. Spread the avocado spread/guacamole on both the slices of the bun. Top it with cilantro, onion rings, tomato slices, 2 slices of pork, cheese and cover with the other slice of bun to form the sandwich.
11. In a serving plate, slice and serve the sandwich with fries or chips and any beverage.
Calories 1342Calories from Fat 552
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 65 g100%
Saturated Fat 11 g55%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 2657 mg110.71%
Total Carbohydrates 143 g47.7%
Dietary Fiber 23 g92%
Sugars 42 g
Protein 59 g118%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 2684Calories from Fat 1104
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 130 g200%
Saturated Fat 22 g110%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 5314 mg221.42%
Total Carbohydrates 286 g95.4%
Dietary Fiber 46 g184%
Sugars 84 g
Protein 118 g236%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet