|For the flag|
|Unflavored gelatin ennvelope||2 Ounce|
|Cold water||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||2/3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Almond extract||1 1/4 Teaspoon|
|Lime zest||1 Small|
|Food coloring||2 Drop (1 green and 1 red)|
|Sliced almonds||1 Cup (16 tbs) , toast|
|For the custard sauce|
|Half and half||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) , cold|
|Sugar||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon zest||1/4 Teaspoon (Organic)|
|Vanilla extract||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Almond extract||3/4 Teaspoon|
|Half and half||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven at 350 degree.
2. Spread the flaked almonds on the cookie sheet and toast it in the preheated oven for 5-10 minutes.
3. Once done remove and keep it aside until needed.
4. In a small bowl combine gelatin and cold water, stir well, pour the gelatin into a double boiler and heat until gelatin is dissolved.
5. Once done turn off the heat and let the gelatin cool.
6. In a bowl pour the eggs whites and add the sugar a tablespoon at a time and using a hand blender whisk them together.
7. Whisk until soft peek is formed, add the lime zest, almond extract and cooled gelatin, keep whisking.
8. Once done divide the egg whites into three separate bowls, add the food coloring to the egg whites.
9. One with green and the other with red, fold the food coloring and mix well so that the color is evenly distributed.
10. Using a tablespoon or spatula, add the green egg whites at the bottom of the 8x8 inch pyrex dish.
11. Add the white egg whites followed by the red egg whites, spread the layers with the back of the spoon to smoothed the layers.
12. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator.
13. In the meantime start making the custard, in a medium bowl combine egg yolks, ½ cup of half and half, vanilla and almond extract, and whisk.
14. On a double boiler, scald the 1 ½ cup of half and half up to 180 degree. Slowly add the egg mixture to the scald milk stirring continuously, add the lemon zest and stir.
15. Cook until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
16. Once done pour the custard into a glass bowl or measuring cup, place the bowl on a bowl of ice, this will cool the custard soon, cover and place in the refrigerator.
17. Chilled for 3-4 hours before serving.
18. In a serving plate, place a slice of the cake and pour a spoon full of custard sauce over the top, sprinkle some sliced toasted almonds all over.
19. Serve the chilled almendrado dessert after a hearty meal.
Calories 323Calories from Fat 128
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.1%
Saturated Fat 5 g25%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 123 mg5.13%
Total Carbohydrates 41 g13.7%
Dietary Fiber 1 g4%
Sugars 36 g
Protein 8 g16%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 2584Calories from Fat 1024
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 120 g184.8%
Saturated Fat 40 g200%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 984 mg41.04%
Total Carbohydrates 328 g109.6%
Dietary Fiber 8 g32%
Sugars 288 g
Protein 64 g128%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet