Cottage cheese salad recipes have become some of my favorite salad recipes for the summer and just about anytime of year. This weeks recipes is another take on the cottage cheese salad. This is my Southwestern Cottage Cheese Salad recipe! It's cooling and refreshing and loaded with flavors. If you like salads then you will love this recipe and it will become one of your favorite salad recipes to!
|Cottage cheese||1 1/2 Pound|
|Cucumber||1 , diced|
|Red onion||1/2 , diced|
|Scallions||1/2 Bunch (50 gm) , slice|
|Pepitas||8 Ounce , slice (Toasted)|
|Pinto beans||1/2 Can (5 oz) (Rinsed)|
|Black beans||1/2 Can (5 oz) (Rinsed)|
|Garlic||8 Clove (40 gm) , finely minced|
|Cilantro||1 Cup (16 tbs) , roughly chopped|
|Corn kernels||200 Gram , roasted (Fresh)|
|Cumin||1 Tablespoon , ground|
|Mexican oregano/Oregano||1 Tablespoon (Dried)|
|Green chillies||14 Ounce (New mexico)|
|Red guajillo chiles/Red chilly flakes||1 Tablespoon|
|Smoked herb/Spice mixture||1 Tablespoon|
|Lime zest||100 Gram|
|Lime juice||4 Tablespoon|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|Pasilla peppers||20 Gram|
|Anaheim peppers||20 Gram|
1. Put the cottage cheese into a fine strainer and shake constantly to get rid of as much liquid as possible.
2. Roast two corn cobs well. When done slice the kernels off into a bowl.
3. When corn is in a bowl add cumin, oregano and some salt and pepper.
4. Mix the spices into corn kernels well and set aside.
5. Drain and rinse your Hatch green chilies and set them aside.
6. Drain and rinse both your black beans and pinto beans and set them aside.
7. In a small skillet toast your Pepitas until nice and golden then set them aside.
8. Roast the Pasilla/Anaheim chilies and place in sealed container to sweat for 5 to 10 minutes.
9. After the chiles have sweat for awhile peel then gently, slice chilies lengthwise leave about 3/4 to 1 inch on each side.
10.Zest two limes and juice one lime and add ingredients together and set aside.
11. Transfer the now dried cottage cheese into a large bowl.
12. Add your roasted corn into the cottage cheese and fold it in well.
13. Mix in 1/2 can of black beans and fold into mixture well.
14. Mix in 1/2 can of pinto beans and fold into mixture well.
15. Add diced cucumber to cottage cheese mix and fold in well.
16. Now add your diced red onion , scallions, pepitas, minced garlic, green chillies, lime zest, lime juice, lime zest, cilantro and fold it all in well.
17. Taste the cottage cheese salad mixture and make any spice adjustments that you want to.
18. Add crushed Guajillo chili pepper, cumin and some additional salt and black pepper as well as the addition of a smoked herb and spice mixture I found in the supermarket.
19. Chill the salad mixture in the refrigerator for at least an hour and then stuff your chili peppers or any other type of vegetable.
20. You can even toast or fry up some corn tortillas to make tacos or get some flour tortillas and make roll ups with this salad mixture.
Calories 618Calories from Fat 146
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g26.2%
Saturated Fat 3 g15%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 343 mg14.29%
Total Carbohydrates 86 g28.7%
Dietary Fiber 15 g60%
Sugars 8 g
Protein 34 g68%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 4944Calories from Fat 1168
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 136 g209.6%
Saturated Fat 24 g120%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 2744 mg114.32%
Total Carbohydrates 688 g229.6%
Dietary Fiber 120 g480%
Sugars 64 g
Protein 272 g544%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet