Pork Carnitas cooked using authentic technique, with a little Cajun flavor!
|Pork lard||4 Pound|
|Pork shoulder||7 Pound|
|Orange||1 Large , cut into segments|
|Cold water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Mexican coco cola||330 Milliliter|
|Cajun seasoning||1/3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (Frog Bone Cajun Seasoning used)|
|Garlic cloves||4 , crushed|
|Crumbled cotija cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. In the cajun rocket pot (crockpot), preheat the pork lard to 375 degrees F.
2. Add in the pork shoulder and allow to fry.
3. Once the pork starts turning golden brown, add in the orange segments.
4. Pour in the cold water, this will reduce the temperature of the lard between 220 degrees to 230 degrees.
5. Allow the pork to simmer for about 35- 45 minutes or until the water has evaporated.
6. Add in the Mexican coke along with cajun seasoning and crushed garlic cloves. Allow to simmer for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
7. Once the pork is fork tender, remove it from the crock pot and shred as shown in the video. Sprinkle generously with the blackened seasoning. Keep it warm by placing it on a moderately warm griddle.
8. On a griddle, place the flour tortillas and toast them lightly. Set them aside.
9. Scatter the crumbled cotija cheese on the griddle and place the toasted tortillas over it, as shown in the video. Allow to warm up for a few seconds and then remove.
10. Place a prepared tortilla on a flat surface. Put the blackened carnitas on it. Sprinkle with chopped coriander and red onion. Spoon some frog bone salsa over it and fold.
11. Repeat with all the tortillas.
12. Serve accompanied with some lime wedges.