The Great British Bake Off's Richard Burr shows you how to make the rich, sweet pastry treat, baklava. This authentic recipe will leave anyone's mouth watering.
|Caster sugar||8 Ounce|
|Water||3 1/2 Fluid Ounce|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Orange extract||1 Tablespoon|
|Walnuts||3 1/2 Ounce|
|Almonds||3 1/2 Ounce|
|Icing sugar||2 2/3 Ounce|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Orange zest||1 Teaspoon|
|Crystallized ginger||3 Tablespoon , finely chopped|
|Filo pastry sheet||6|
|Unsalted butter||5 1/3 Ounce|
1. Take sugar in a pot. Add water and lemon juice.
2. Mix honey and orange essence.Stir and let the sugar melt and get to a syrupy consistency. Set the sugar syrup apart.
3. Meanwhile dry roast pecans and almonds and then cool them down.
4. Biltz nuts, icing sugar and cinnamon in a food processor. Add orange zest and mix well until everything comes together.
5. Cut the phyllo sheet into 16 cm sections.
6. Brush your baking tray with butter, then place the first sheet in the tray. Brush butter on top, layer with another sheet and spread butter on top. Repeat layering until its lined with 4 sheets.
7. Spread half of your nut mix on top.
8. Spread 8 more layers over the nut mix, buttering in between each layer.
9. Spread the remaining nut mix followed by candied ginger.
10. Layer with the remaining 4 phyllo sheets, buttering in between the sheets.
11. Preheat the oven to 180 C.
12. Make half way cuts into the baklava. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
13. Cut the baklava all the way through. Let it cool completely.
14. Pour sugar syrups in the cuts and then let it soak through the baklava for at least 4 hours or overnight.
15. Serve them all by themselves and enjoy!!