I've taken the classic "Meatloaf and Smashed Potatoes" to another level with this Bacon and Cheddar Overload! The meatloaf was stuffed with onions, red bell pepper, jalapenos, garlic, and lots of high temp cheddar cheese, and covered with a blanket of bacon, and then smoked low and slow for a very delicious result! The meat was juicy, and bursting with great flavors! As a side, I made a "Loaded Smashed Potato" casserole that will ROCK your world! Yep, this was my Mothers Day meal, and my wife, and her daughter and grand girls loved it! Enjoy!
|Yellow onion||1 Small , chopped finely|
|Chopped garlic||1 Tablespoon|
|Red bell pepper||1 , chopped|
|Ground chuck||3 Pound|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|Brown mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Worcestershire sauce||3/4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Plain bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Jalapeno ketchup||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (Melinda's)|
|High temperature cheddar cheese||8 Ounce|
|For loaded potato|
|Idaho potatoes||6 Pound , peeled and cut into cubes|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|Evaporated milk||4 Tablespoon|
|Sour cream||8 Ounce|
|Shredded sharp cheddar cheese||3/4 Cup (12 tbs) (Divided)|
|Crumbled bacon||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (Divided)|
|Chopped green onions||6 Tablespoon|
1. Prepare the grill and bring up the temperature to 250 F for cooking the meat loaf. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Mix together ground chuck, onion, bell pepper, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl. Throw in dried thyme, brown mustard, worcestershire sauce, bread crumbs, egg, jalapeno ketchup and high temperature cheddar cheese cubes. Mix it all well. Bundle up in a loaf shape.
3. Layer bacon strips on an aluminium foil. Fold alternate strips and place a new strip perpendicularly at the end. Open the folds. Fold the other alternate strips and place another strip perpendicularly. Continue to fold and place new strips of bacon as seen in the video. Put the bacon weave in the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes.
4. When the bacon is hard, place the meat loaf over the bacon weave and roll the weave around meat loaf.
5. Place a probe in the middle of the loaf and put the loaf on the grill. Let it cook under the dome, until it reaches an internal meat temperature of 165 F, approximately 2 hours. Turn in the middle of the cook.
6. Meanwhile, soak potatoes in water and salt and pepper.
7. Drain off the water and place the potatoes in a stand up mixer. Whip the potatoes with butter, evaporated milk and sour cream. Blend it all together. Add 1/4 cup of sharp cheddar cheese and 4 tablespoon crumbled bacon and mix it all well until everything gets well incorporated. Season potatoes, if required.
8. Spread whipped potatoes on a baking dish. Sprinkle remaining sharp cheddar cheese and green onions all over. Throw in the some more crumbled bacon and bake the potatoes at 350 F in a preheated oven until the bacon in cooked. Sprinkle some more bacon and place it back in the oven until everything is hot and bubbly.
9. Slice and serve the meat loaf with loaded potates. Enjoy!