|Radish||1 1/2 Pound (young radish)|
|Onion||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) , sliced|
|Green onion stalks||2 Large , chopped into 1|
|Red hot pepper||1 Medium|
|Sea salt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Anchovies||6 Medium , dried|
|Kelp||6 Small (11 Inch)|
|Shiitake mushrooms||1 Small , dried|
|Sweet rice flour/Normal rice flour or white wheat flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Ingredients for the sauce|
|Hot pepper powder||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) , sliced finely|
|Fish sauce||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Apple||2 Tablespoon , ground|
|Garlic||1 1/2 Tablespoon , minced|
|Sesame seeds||1/2 Tablespoon|
|Ginger||1/4 Teaspoon , minced|
1. On a chopping board, chop the well rinsed radish into 1½-inch lengths. Spread them around in a large mixing bowl, evenly, sprinkle some coarse sea salt on top. Repeat this process until all the radish leaves are used up. Set it aside for about an hour.
2. Flip the radish pieces over a couple times in between, so that they will get salted evenly. For a better flavor and texture, handle them very gently. After salting the radish for about an hour, a liquid will start to form. Gently rinse the radish twice and drain well.
3. In a pot on medium high, add water, dried anchovy pack (or 6 pieces of dried anchovies), kelp and shiitake mushroom to make a broth for the Kimchi.
4. Once the broth starts to boil, cook for about 5 minutes and then remove the kelp. Then cook for another 5 minutes on medium-high. Discard the anchovy pack and mushroom. Set it aside for cooling.
5. In a saucepan, pour 1 cup of the broth (or water) and in the sweet rice flour. Stir until the flour completely dissolves in the broth. Cook on medium heat by stirring continuously.
6. When the rice flour mixture starts to bubble and thicken. It is done. Set it aside for cooling.
7. In another mixing bowl, combine the cooled rice flour mixture and all the ingredients for the sauce. Mix well.
8. Add the drained radish and chopped veggies to the sauce. Mix everything gently.
9. Put the prepared kimchi in a glass jar and pour about 1 cup of the broth saved (or water) inside the jar.
10. Close the lid, not too tightly. Leave it out at room temperature overnight. Then store it in the refrigerator. It will take one or 2 weeks before it is well fermented.
11. The fermented kimchi can be used to make many dishes such as kimchi stew, kimchi soup and kimchi fried rice.
If you do not have anchovies, kelp or shiitake mushrooms then you can skip this step and just use water instead.
If you do not have sweet rice flour, use normal rice flour or white wheat flour.
Calories 226Calories from Fat 35
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6.2%
Saturated Fat %
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 2062 mg85.92%
Total Carbohydrates 40 g13.3%
Dietary Fiber 12 g48%
Sugars 9 g
Protein 14 g28%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 904Calories from Fat 140
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.8%
Saturated Fat 0 0%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 8248 mg343.68%
Total Carbohydrates 160 g53.2%
Dietary Fiber 48 g192%
Sugars 36 g
Protein 56 g112%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet