This week Healthy Helpings TV's host Michelle Koen has a hearty dish that packs a protein wallop!
A most unusual recipe, this calls for lentils and eggs. Here's a little secret... you can leave out the eggs to use this lentil dish as the basis for a number of other dishes as well!
|Lentils||1 Cup (16 tbs) (brown or green)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium , finely chopped|
|Garlic clove||1 Medium , finely chopped|
|Red bell pepper||1⁄2 Medium , thinly sliced|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Red wine vinegar||1 Teaspoon|
|Cilantro/Parsely||1 Bunch (100 gm) , finely chopped (or as required)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350ºF
2) In a saucepan with water, add the lentils and bring to a boil.
3) Then allow to simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until slightly soft.
4) Meanwhile, in a non-stick skillet or frying pan lighly brushed with olive oil, saute the onion and garlic until softened.
5) Add the bell pepper and saute until softened. Set aside until the lentils are ready.
6) In a small bowl, whisk the extra virgin olive oil, vinegar and seasonings to taste.
7) When the lentils are cooked, stir in the olive oil mixture along with the sauteed onion and peppers.
8) Divide the lentil mixture amongst 4 ramekins. Make depression in the center of each and crack an egg into each depression.
9) Cover ramekins with a foil and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the egg whites are just set.
10) Sprinkle the baked eggs with chopped cilantro or parsley and serve warm.