Lamb can be enjoyed year round, but a boneless roast screams a spring time celebration. This recipe I learned from George Brown Culinary, is pretty easy to prepare. Boneless lamb is butterflied and stuffed with a mixture of onions, garlic, rosemary, parsley, thyme, goat's cheese and red pepper, slathered in mustard and cooked in a hot oven with a mirepoix of veggies like carrots, celery onions.
|Red onions||1/2 , finely chopped|
|Chopped garlic||1 Teaspoon|
|Chopped red pepper||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Parsley||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Goat cheese||150 Gram|
|Whole grain mustard||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Dijon mustard||1/2 Teaspoon|
|For seasoning lamb|
|French dijon mustard||2 Teaspoon|
|Whole grain mustard||2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped red onions||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Boneless leg lamb||5 Pound|
|Chopped carrots||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped celery||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped red pepper||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Salt & pepper||To Taste|
1. Heat oil in a pan.
2. Drop in the onions and saute until they start turning translucent.
3. Add garlic to the pan. Saute that as well.
4. Drop some red peppers, rosemary sprigs and parsley. Mix everything together. Saute for a minute or two.
5. Turn off the heat, add goat cheese and let it melt in the pan.
6. Add whole grain mustard and dijon mustard, mix that as well. Set the filling aside to cool down completely.
7. Butterfly the leg of lamb, try and trim off all excess fat. Dry it with kitchen towels.
8. Place the lamb fat side down on a shelf. Season with salt and pepper.
9. Mix whole grain and french dijon mustard together and spread over the inside of the lamb.
10. Spread the cold filling over the lamb and roll the lamb.
11. Tie the twine around the lamb roast. Slather the top and bottom of the lamb with mustard mixture.
12. Wrap the lamb in cling film and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight.
13. Heat the oven to 450 F.
14. Remove the cling film from the lamb and sear it in hot roasting pan for 25 minutes.
15. Place the lamb on a roasting pan. Drop in diced onions, carrots, celery and red pepper on the pan.
16. Place the pan back in the oven and cook until the lamb is done.
17. Rest the lamb for at least 15 minutes before slicing.
18. Use the vegetables to make a gravy along with the drippings.
19. Slice and serve the lamb. Enjoy.
Calories 499Calories from Fat 193
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g33.8%
Saturated Fat 9 g45%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 245 mg10.21%
Total Carbohydrates 4 g1.3%
Dietary Fiber 1 g4%
Sugars 2 g
Protein 69 g138%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 4990Calories from Fat 1930
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 220 g338%
Saturated Fat 90 g450%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 2450 mg102.1%
Total Carbohydrates 40 g13%
Dietary Fiber 10 g40%
Sugars 20 g
Protein 690 g1380%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet