Is it you or the aroma of Tomato Ketchup that you are making that has dragged me to the kitchen?, were my partner's words. Tomato is the primary ingredient in dish. Whole preparation and making of dish would take only 155 minutes. You won't regret spending your time making Tomato Ketchup. What are you waiting for, try it now.
|Ripe tomatoes||8 Pound (30 medium ones)|
|Onions||1 Cup (16 tbs) , chopped|
|Red cayenne pepper||1/4 Teaspoon , ground|
|Cider vinegar||1 Cup (16 tbs) (5% acid strength)|
|Whole cloves||1 1/2 Teaspoon|
|Cinnamon stick||1 , broken into pieces|
|Whole allspice||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Celery seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Salt||4 Teaspoon (canning or pickling)|
1. In a large pot of boiling water, dip tomatoes for 30 seconds until the skin is loose.
2. Transfer tomatoes to cold water for cooling.
3. Peel tomatoes, core and quarter keep aside in a 4 quart bowl.
4. In a 5 quart kettle, mix together tomatoes, onions and red pepper cook uncovered for 20 minutes with occasional stirring.
5. Meanwhile, in a cheesecloth bag, put together all spices and tie.
6. In a 1 quart saucepan, boil spice bag with vinegar then remove from heat and let stand until ketchup is cooked.
7. Through a sieve, pass the cooked tomatoes.
8. Return tomatoes to the kettle and stir in sugar and salt.
9. Cook with frequent stirring for about 75 minutes until the volume is reduced to half.
10. Strain spiced vinegar and discard spice bag stir into tomato mixture.
11. Boil for another 30 minutes with continuous stirring until mixture rounds up on spoon and sauce is not separated from liquids.
12. Into 2 hot pint jars, spoon mixture leaving 1/8 inch empty on top of the jar.
13. Using a clean and dry kitchen towel, wipe the rim of jar and adjust lid.
14. Into a canner of boiling water, place the jars and process for about 15 minutes start noting processing time after water in the canner returns to boiling.
15. Remove jars and place over a clean towel.
16. Let the jars cool down and seal completely until they are self-sealing type.
17. Serve Tomato Ketchup with burgers and sandwiches.
Serving size Complete recipe
Calories 1193Calories from Fat 77
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.8%
Saturated Fat 1 g5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 7969 mg332.04%
Total Carbohydrates 266 g88.7%
Dietary Fiber 49 g196%
Sugars 203 g
Protein 35 g70%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet