Tomato Ketchup, creamy, spicy and tangy. This Homemade Tomato Ketchup is healthier and fresher than what you get in the market.
|Tomatoes||5 Cup (80 tbs) , quartered|
|Sugar||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chilli powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Sodium benzoate||1/2 Teaspoon|
|For the potli|
|Cinnamon stick||1 Inch (dalchini)|
|Peppercorns||1 Teaspoon , coarsely ground (kalimirch)|
|Crushed garlic||2 Teaspoon (lehsun)|
For the potli
1. Combine all the ingredients in a muslin cloth, tie a knot and keep aside.
2. Combine the tomatoes and the prepared potli in the pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles, without adding water.
3. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid, remove the potli from the tomato mixture and discard it.
4. Cool the tomato mixture slightly and blend it in a mixer till smooth.
5. Strain the mixture using a strainer.
6. Transfer the tomato mixture into a deep non-stick pan, add the sugar, chilli powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 15 to 17 minutes or till it coats the back of the spoon, while stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
7. Once cooled, add the sodium benzoate, mix well and store it in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
Serving size Complete recipe
Calories 611Calories from Fat 20
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2 g3.1%
Saturated Fat %
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 1045 mg43.54%
Total Carbohydrates 149 g49.7%
Dietary Fiber 14 g56%
Sugars 125 g
Protein 10 g20%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet