The artichokes Jewish-style (carciofi alla giudia) is a traditional recipe from Rome, that greatly enhances the flavor and taste of the artichoke!
|Artichokes||4 Medium (Globe artichokes Romanesco)|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 1/2 Liter|
1. Clean and cut the artichokes: take a bowl of cold water, squeeze lemon juice and mix it in the water you can also put the squeezed lemon, the artichokes will be soaked in this water to prevent them from turning brown.
2. Pull off the tough outer leaves of the artichokes, until you get to the tender ones. When the base of the leaves is lighter in color that is the edible part, so you can stop.
3. Take the paring knife, with a curved blade and make a horizontal cut, to remove the upper half of the leaves, you can rotate the artichoke with one hand and cut the leaves with the other one and work your way to the centre. It looks like a rose bud. At this point, the artichoke is ready, you just need to cut off the bottom of the stem, if it's too long, and remove the scales at the base, along with the fibrous outer part of the stem.
4. Now the artichoke is perfectly cleaned, so plunge into the water, which has been acidulated with lemon juice, and let it sit for at least 10 minutes, perhaps using a plate to keep it down, and repeat with the remaining artichokes.
5. After 10 minutes, take the artichokes out of the water and place them upside down to drain. Now beat them one against the other to remove the excess water and open the leaves a little. Pat them dry.
6. In a pan heat the olive oil to about 300F (150C), next add the artichokes and allow them to fry for at least 10-15 minutes, it depends on the size of the artichoke. (As you can notice, this recipe calls for a large amount of oil, because the artichokes should be submerged) if they're not completely covered, like this one, you can turn them over occasionally.
7. It's time to take the artichokes out of the oil to test for doneness, insert a fork into the bottom of the artichoke: if you can pierce it easily, the artichoke is done and ready to be drained. Now let them cool.
8. Take the cooled artichokes and pull the leaves apart to expose the centre, (this artichoke variety has no thorns and no hairy choke, otherwise they should be removed during preparation)
9. Now season the inside with salt and pepper. Then deep-fry again for a couple of minutes, to make them crispier. At this step some people sprinkle the artichokes with white wine or water.
10. Now drain the artichokes and repeat with the others, while you are frying, drain the artichoke leaves with a slotted spoon.
11. The artichoke leaves should taste like potato chips, You can serve it with seasoning or just plain slat and pepper.
Rub your hands with lemon before cleaning artichokes because artichokes make your hands turn black. The lemon will help save your fingers.
This recipe calls for a large amount of oil, because the artichokes should be submerged