Lasagna, a very conventional dish of Italian origin, is made with layers of pasta (or lasagna sheets, commonly referred as) filled with sauces (both tomato based and cheese based), variety of meats (ground beef, pork or chicken), and assorted vegetables.
Lasagna is usually oven-baked and typically flavored with onions, garlic, sauces, meat and vegetables.
|For the sauce base|
|Onion||1 Medium , finely chopped|
|Garlic cloves||15 Medium , finely chopped|
|Celery stalk||1 Medium , finely chopped|
|Carrot||1 Medium , finely chopped|
|Pork belly bacon||60 Gram , cut into small pieces|
|Ground beef||300 Gram|
|Ground pork||110 Gram|
|Beef sausages||110 Gram , cut into small pieces|
|Ground clove||1 Dash|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Pinch|
|Ground black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Diced tomatoes||800 Gram (Canned tomatoes used)|
|Whole milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|For the b chamel sauce|
|Butter||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Flour||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Whole milk||2 Cup (32 tbs) , boiled|
|For the layers|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon (For greasing the baking pan)|
|Lasagna sheets||16 (Follow instructions on the pack; I used instant ones that could be baked directly with no pre|
|Grated cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As needed)|
|Oregano||To Taste (Optional)|
|Dried basil||To Taste (Optional)|
To prepare the sauce base:
1. Heat a pan with butter. When the butter melts, saute the onions, garlic, celery, carrots and the bacon for a couple of minutes until the onions turn pale golden in color.
2. Add the ground beef, pork and sausages, stir fry on high heat until brown.
3. Sprinkle ground cloves, cinnamon and black pepper.
4. Then, stir in the tomatoes, reduce the heat and let simmer at medium heat for about 15 minutes.
5. After 15 minutes, add the milk, season with salt and stir. Reduce the heat down to a low and let simmer for 150 minutes. (Keep stirring every 20 minutes, when the sauce reduces to a point where it starts sticking to the bottom of the pan)
6. After about 40 minutes add water, scrape the bottom of the pan and let the sauce continue to cook.
To prepare the béchamel sauce:
7. In a heated saucepan, melt butter with flour over low heat. Stir rapidly to cook and remove from heat after 1 minute.
8. Gradually add half of the boiled milk to your butter and flour mixture, stirring constantly.
9. Return the milk-flour mixture to low heat until sauce begins to thicken. Add the remaining milk while stirring constantly until it comes to a boil.
10. Season with salt and continue to simmer, stirring constantly till the sauce reaches the desired consistency. Once done, remove the lump free béchamel sauce from the heat and set aside.
To prepare the layers:
11. Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease baking pan with olive oil and set aside.
12. Arrange lasagna sheets to form a bottom layer in the pan. Spoon the prepared sauce base over it, followed by the béchamel sauce. Then, sprinkle with grated cheese.
13. Repeat the layers twice again with a final layer of lasagna sheet on top followed by a generous sprinkle of cheese. Sprinkle some oregano and dried basil on top, if desired.
14. Cover with aluminium foil and bake in the preheated oven for 30 - 40 minutes until completely cooked.
15. Serve warm and enjoy!
Calories 887Calories from Fat 306
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 34 g52.3%
Saturated Fat 15 g75%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 461 mg19.21%
Total Carbohydrates 111 g37%
Dietary Fiber 2 g8%
Sugars 11 g
Protein 36 g72%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 8870Calories from Fat 3060
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 340 g523%
Saturated Fat 150 g750%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 4610 mg192.1%
Total Carbohydrates 1110 g370%
Dietary Fiber 20 g80%
Sugars 110 g
Protein 360 g720%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet