In this video, Betty demonstrates how to make Baked Manicotti. This dish consists of manicotti noodles stuffed with a 3-cheese blend, covered with a gorgeous marinara sauce, and baked in the oven.
|For manicotti noodles|
|Manicotti noodles||14 (1 packet)|
|Water||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (use as needed)|
|For marinara sauce|
|Onion||1 Medium , chopped|
|Green pepper||1 Medium , chopped|
|Garlic cloves||2 , minced|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Canned diced tomatoes||43 1/2 Ounce (three 14.5|
|Sweet basil||3 Tablespoon , finely chopped (fresh)|
|Fresh oregano||3 Tablespoon , chopped finely|
|Flat leaf italian parsley||3 Tablespoon , finely chopped (fresh)|
|Coarse ground black pepper||1/2 Teaspoon|
|For cheese filling|
|Ricotta cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs) (or cottage cheese)|
|Finely grated parmesan cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs) , grated|
|Shredded mozzarella cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Chopped fresh flat leaf parsely||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped sweet basil||2 Tablespoon (fresh)|
|Chopped fresh oregano||2 Tablespoon|
|Table salt||3/4 Teaspoon|
|Cooking oil spray||1|
1. Cook the manicotti noodles, according to package instructions in salted water and run cool water gently over them as they drain in a colander in the sink. Let cool. Drain well and set aside.
2. Spray a 13-inch by 9-inch by 2-inch casserole dish with cooking oil spray.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degree F.
For Marinara Sauce:
4. In a large, deep skillet, saute onion, green pepper, and minced garlic in extra virgin olive oil until nice and tender.
5. Add diced tomatoes with juice, salt, and ground black pepper. Stir and simmer, uncovered for about 30 minutes or until thickened.
6. Stir in fresh basil, chopped oregano, and chopped fresh parsley. Cook another 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens to desired consistency. Remove from heat and set aside.
For Cheese Filling:
7. In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs.
8. Stir in ricotta cheese, 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, chopped parsley, sweet basil, fresh oregano, table salt, and ground black pepper. Mix well.
9. Stuff each of the 14 cooled manicotti noodles with one-fourteenth of the cheese mixture.
10. Spread about 1 ½ cups of the marinara sauce evenly over the bottom of the greased dish.
11. Arrange the stuffed noodles and spread the remaining marinara sauce on top.
12. Cover casserole dish with aluminum foil and pop in preheated oven. Bake for 40 minutes.
13. Remove foil, sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of finely grated Parmesan cheese over the top, and bake, uncovered for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is brown and bubbly. You can also broil in the last 30 seconds.
14. Remove from oven, cut into serving pieces and serve immediately with crostini.
For Crostini please check out this link - Betty's Easy Cheesy Crostini
Calories 527Calories from Fat 244
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 28 g43.1%
Saturated Fat 14 g70%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 1287 mg53.63%
Total Carbohydrates 38 g12.7%
Dietary Fiber 5 g20%
Sugars 3 g
Protein 34 g68%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 4216Calories from Fat 1952
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 224 g344.8%
Saturated Fat 112 g560%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 10296 mg429.04%
Total Carbohydrates 304 g101.6%
Dietary Fiber 40 g160%
Sugars 24 g
Protein 272 g544%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet