Delicious and beautiful Italian Cream Cake! It's great for the Holidays!
|For the cake|
|Butter||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) , room temperature (approx 1 stick of butter)|
|Shortening||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Eggs||5 Large , separated|
|Flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Buttermilk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Coconut||1 Cup (16 tbs) , flaked|
|Pecans||1 Cup (16 tbs) , chopped|
|For the icing|
|Cream cheese||8 Ounce , room temperature (2 packets of cream cheese)|
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs) , room temperature (approx. 2 sticks of butter)|
|Powdered sugar||2 Pound|
|Pecans||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs) , chopped|
|Cherries||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) , chopped|
1) Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2) Take 3, 9 inch cake pans, grease and flour them nicely.
For the cake:
3)In an electric mixer, add the butter and shortening and beat them until light and fluffy. Add sugar and beat until well combined.
4) Stir in 5 egg yolks one at a time, and blend the batter until well incorporated after adding each egg yolk. Add vanilla extract and continue beating.
5) In another bowl, add and combine together the flour with baking soda. Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture and beat until well incorporated. Then stir in the buttermilk to the above mixture and beat well. Repeat steps until all the quantity of flour and buttermilk is well incorporated into the butter mixture. Once done, transfer it into a large mixing bowl.
6) Add coconut, pecans and fold them gently into the above mixture and set aside.
7) In the electric mixer, add the 5 egg whites and beat them until stiff peaks are formed. Once done, stir the egg white mixture into the cake batter and fold it in gently until well incorporated.
8) Take the 3 greased cake pans and pour the cake batter evenly. Bake these in the oven at 325 degrees for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Once done, remove the cake pans from the oven and let them cool completely on a rack.
For the icing:
9) In a large mixing bowl, add and combine together the cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Beat this mixture well until nice fluffy. Stir in the sugar and continue beating until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
To assemble the Italian cream cake:
10) Remove the cakes from the cake pan and generously apply the icing on all the 3 cakes. Once done, stack them over one another until 3 layers of cream cake is formed. Take the pecans and press them on the sides of the 3 cakes and sprinkle some of it over the top.
11) Serve this Italian cream cake chilled garnished with some cherries and sliced in desired pieces.
Calories 1107Calories from Fat 536
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 62 g95.4%
Saturated Fat 24 g120%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 209 mg8.71%
Total Carbohydrates 133 g44.3%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16%
Sugars 110 g
Protein 10 g20%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 13284Calories from Fat 6432
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 744 g1144.8%
Saturated Fat 288 g1440%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 2508 mg104.52%
Total Carbohydrates 1596 g531.6%
Dietary Fiber 48 g192%
Sugars 1320 g
Protein 120 g240%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet