If you want to surprise your mom on Mother's Day with a homemade gift, that looks like a gorgeous bouquet of roses, this dessert is right for you: the rose cake.
|Bread flour||500 Gram|
|Orange zest||1 Teaspoon|
|Fresh yeast||10 Gram|
|Vanilla extract||1 Tablespoon|
|Orange marmalade/Apricot jam||200 Gram|
|Almond flour||100 Gram|
|Heavy cream||4 Tablespoon|
|Egg yolk||1 Medium|
|Almonds||To Taste , slivered|
1. Butter and flour an 11-inch (28 cm) round baking pan.
2. Put flour in the mixing bowl of a stand mixer, turn it on to the lowest setting and beat in the yeast mixture that is made by mixing the crumbled yeast with a little milk.
3. Add the remaining milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, grated orange zest and lastly the salt. Let the mixer run for at least 10 minutes.
4. Once the gluten is developed in the dough, replace the paddle attachment with the dough hook turn to the lowest speed, and add small pieces of butter, one at a time: don't add the next piece of butter until the previous one has been incorporated this step takes at least 10 minutes.
5. Once the dough is ready, turn it out onto a floured work surface and form into a ball, then place into a large bowl, that has been greased with butter, cover with cling film, and let it rise Seal the bowl and place it in the turned off oven, but with the light turned on, until at least doubled in volume.( After adding the butter, you'll know that the dough is ready when it wraps around the hook if it's not happening, sprinkle some more flour from the sides of the mixing bowl.)
6. Start preparing the filling for the rose cake, so replace the dough hook with the whisk attachment, and combine the softened butter, sugar and beat until you have a pale, fluffy mixture after that, add the almond flour and 3-4 tablespoons of heavy cream, and continue until smooth and creamy, keep it aside until required.
7. Roll out the dough to a thickness of 1/10 inch (2 mm), it should be approximately 16 inches (40 cm) wide by 24 inches (60 cm) long. Now spread the surface with the orange marmalade or apricot jam, After that, do the same with the butter and sugar mixture, Now roll it up from the long side.
8. The resulting roll has to be 24 inches (60 cm) long shape it with your hands to make it even, and now divide into 12 equal pieces so cut the first piece, of about 2 inches (5 cm), and place it in the buttered and floured pan. Arrange 8 pieces around the perimeter and place the other 4 pieces in the middle. Make sure that the roses are evenly spaced.
9. We need to let it rise again in the turned off oven, with the light on, for at least an hour.
10. Once the rose cake has risen, brush with a mixture of egg and heavy cream, then sprinkle with slivered almonds.
11. Finally bake the cake in a preheated oven at 350F (180C) for about 45-50 minutes.
12. Remove and let cool on a wire rack.
12. Sprinkle some powdered sugar and your rose cake is ready.
13. Enjoy the rose cake with your mother at tea time.
Calories 615Calories from Fat 200
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g35.4%
Saturated Fat 9 g45%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 392 mg16.33%
Total Carbohydrates 90 g30%
Dietary Fiber 3 g12%
Sugars 40 g
Protein 14 g28%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 4920Calories from Fat 1600
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 184 g283.2%
Saturated Fat 72 g360%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 3136 mg130.64%
Total Carbohydrates 720 g240%
Dietary Fiber 24 g96%
Sugars 320 g
Protein 112 g224%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet