|Dried white haricot beans||1/4 Pound|
|Fresh green peas||1 Pound , shelled|
|Courgettes||1/2 Pound , diced, unpeeled but scrubbed|
|Diced carrots||1/4 Pound|
|Diced potatoes||6 Ounce|
|Celery||2 Ounce , thinly sliced|
|Salt pork||2 Ounce , diced|
|Onions||1/2 Ounce , finely chopped|
|Leeks||2 Ounce , finely chopped|
|Tomatoes/Canned whole pack tomatoes||1 pound, drained, coarsely chopped|
|Chicken stock||3 Pint|
|Parsley sprigs||2 , tied with bay leaf|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (scant)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1 Teaspoon (scant)|
|Uncooked white rice||4 Ounce (Plain)|
|Fresh basil/Crumbled dried basil||1 scant teaspoon|
|Fresh parsley||1 Tablespoon , finely chopped|
|Garlic||1/2 Teaspoon , finely chopped|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||2 Ounce|
1. In a heavy bottomed, medium sized saucepan boil 1 1/2 pints of water, add the beans and boil briskly for 2 minutes.
2. Take it off and leave it aside to soak for an hour.
3. Put it back on the stove and cook the beans without covering over low heat for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until barely tender.
4. Drain them thoroughly in running water and keep aside in a bowl.
5. In a large, heavy bottomed frying pan, melt butter over moderate heat and when the foam subsides, add the peas, courgettes, carrots, potatoes and celery.
6. Toss the vegetables and stir with a spoon while cooking them for 2 to 3 minutes or until they are lightly coated with butter but not browned, keep aside.
7. In a large saucepan render the diced salt pork by frying over moderate heat, stirring frequently until crisp and brown, drain on paper towel.
8. Now add the onions and leeks (or if leeks are unavailable, substitute another 2 ounce of onions) into the fat left in the pot and cook for about 7 to 8 minutes, stirring constantly or until the vegetables are soft and lightly browned.
9. Add the tomatoes, fried vegetables, chicken stock, bay leaf and parsley sprigs, salt and pepper.
10. Increase the heat and bring it to a boil, lower the heat and let it simmer covering partially for 25 minutes.
11. Take out the bay leaf and parsley sprigs and discard it, add the rice, beans and pork dices and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
12. Season the soup with salt and pepper as per your taste.
13. Serve immediately garnished with herbs, garlic and parmesan. It can be served as a main course as well as it already has all the components of a meal, you can also serve a crusty Italian bread to make it more filling.
Calories 779Calories from Fat 288
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 33 g50.8%
Saturated Fat 15 g75%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 1500 mg62.5%
Total Carbohydrates 90 g30%
Dietary Fiber 16 g64%
Sugars 20 g
Protein 34 g68%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 3116Calories from Fat 1152
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 132 g203.2%
Saturated Fat 60 g300%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 6000 mg250%
Total Carbohydrates 360 g120%
Dietary Fiber 64 g256%
Sugars 80 g
Protein 136 g272%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet