|Chicken stock||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Chicken breasts||1 Pound , skinned|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm) , minced|
|Carrots||2 , diced|
|Peas||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sweet green pepper||1 , diced|
|Chopped cabbage||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Dried thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried rosemary||1 Teaspoon|
|Canned tomatoes||19 Ounce , coarsely chopped, undrained (1 Can, 540 Milliliter)|
|Fresh spinach||10 Ounce , chopped (1Package, 284 Gram)|
|Chopped fresh parsley||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Zucchini||1 Small , thinly sliced|
|Canned white kidney beans||19 Ounce , drained and rinsed (1 Can, 540 Milliliter)|
|Thick bread slices||8 (Italian / French Bread)|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to the desired temperature.
2) Take a large saucepan,combine chicken stock, chicken breasts and bay leaves in it and allow the mixture to boil.
3) Reduce to a simmer, cover the saucepan with lid and cook for about 20 minutes or till the colour of the chicken changes from pink.
4) Remove chicken and discard bones,reserve the stock.
5) Now cut the meat into cubes and set aside.
6) Discard bay leaves.
7) Reheat slightly and keep the stock warm.
8) In large skillet, heat about 2 tbsp,say 25 mL of oil over moderate heat and cook onion, garlic, carrots and celery for about 10 minutes, stirring at times.
9) Now add the remaining oil, green pepper, cabbage, thyme and rosemary and cook over low heat, stirring once in a while for about 10 minutes.
10) In the saucepan, add the vegetable mixture to the stock along with tomatoes and pepper and allow the mixture to boil.
11) Reduce to a simmer,cover the pan with lid and cook for 30 minutes.
12) Now add spinach, parsley, zucchini, kidney beans and reserved diced chicken and continue cooking for 5 more minutes.
13) Remove 1 cup from the pan,about 250 mL of the soup and set aside.
14) Into a 24-cup (6 L) Dutch oven or casserole,transfer half of the remaining soup using a slotted spoon and cover with four of the bread slices and 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the grated Parmesan cheese.
15) On top of the bread slices and cheese layer,pour the remaining soup and now layer with remaining bread.
16) Drizzle the reserved soup over top and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. (If desired,recipe can be prepared to this point, cooled, covered and refrigerated for up to 24 hours.)
17) Bake, covered with lid at 350°F (180°C) oven for 20 minutes and for 45 minutes if refrigerated.
18)Remove the lid and bake for 20 minutes longer and 45 minutes if refrigerated or until hot.
19) Serve the hot soup portioned in soup bowls.
Serving size Complete recipe
Calories 3859Calories from Fat 1071
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 121 g186.2%
Saturated Fat 37 g185%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 8971 mg373.79%
Total Carbohydrates 449 g149.7%
Dietary Fiber 78 g312%
Sugars 86 g
Protein 278 g556%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet