I love cooking Lamb shanks and this time I decided to cook this in a traditional Persian style. Persian or Iranian food, similar to other Middle Eastern flavours is subtle yet distinct. The shanks are marinated in spices and Garlic and drizzled with some Rose water and Saffron steeped water. It's then slow-cooked in the oven and served with fragrant rice with nuts and pomegranate seeds.
|Hot water||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lamb shank||2 (about 3.3.5 Lbs or 1432 gms)|
|Cumin powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Lemon rind||1 Teaspoon|
|Crushed garlic||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Rose petals||1 Teaspoon , crush|
|Lemon||1 , juiced|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Rose water||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Meat stock/Veggie stock||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Steep the saffron in hot water.
2. Score the lamb shanks.
3. Marinate the lamb shanks preferably overnight with salt, pepper, cumin, cinnamon and turmeric powder, lemon rind, garlic, crushed rose petals & olive oil.
4. Rub the marinade into the meat and push some of the garlic into the slits. Marinate overnight
5. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
6. Transfer the shanks to a roasting pan and add the onion to the container were the lamb sat in the marinade so the onion absorbs the leftover marinade.
7. Add the onion to the roasting pan as well together with some bay leaves.
8. Add the rose water and steeped saffron water over the shanks and add the stock to the bottom of the pan.
9. Roast in a 350-degree oven for 2.5 – 3 hrs.
10. Start cooking covered and then open and continue to cook.
11. Once cooked serve with rice.