Blackcurrant is one of the most delicious berries I've ever tasted. Every year I make and bottle jam and this is enjoyed year round. This year because of the cold spring we got in Canada I got a smaller crop and decided to make some Blackcurrant syrup instead. This is one of the most delicious syrup I've ever made. I used this syrup to make drinks, Mojitos, poured it over ice cream and also used it to make a Pistachio and Blackcurrant ice cream. I think it's safe to say I used it faster than I could make it.
|Black currents||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Lemon||1 , juiced|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. Wash and de-stem the blackcurrants making sure they are free from any debris or bugs.
2. Add the sugar and lemon juice and turn on the heat.
3. Add the water and boil for 20 mins.
4. After 20 mins, cook for another 5 mins and press down the berries with a muddler to release more juice.
5. Using a metal sieve, strain the pulp pressing down with the back of a spoon.
6. Reserve the pure nectar.
7. Puree the leftover pulp and store separately for use in smoothies and cakes.
8. Use as required.