Today we're going to make chicken stock my friend Jamie was in and showed us how to break down a chicken.o I'm left with these three chicken carcasses, and I thought I'd make chicken stock with them because it's always a great idea to use the entire animal. Fifteen years ago I was shooting a French chef in an Italian restaurant in Hong Kong one of the things he made was chicken stock and I was completely blown away by his method. I came home and I tried it his way and I thought this is absolutely fantastic, this is the way I should be making stock. Then a few years later in 2009 Michael Ruhlman published a book called 'Ratios' and in his book he delineates pretty much this method for making chicken stock.
|Chicken bones||1 Kilogram (raw)|
|Water||1 1/2 Liter|
1. Preheat oven to 180ºF - 190ºF
2. Place the bones in an ovenproof stockpot and cover with water.
3. Quickly bring the water temp up to 200ºF on the stovetop.
4. Do not bring to a boil! Skim off any ‘foam’.
5. Place pot in oven and leave for 4 or 5 hours.
6. Add onions, carrots, celery, salt, and pepper to pot
(plus any other aromatics you might like).
7. Return to oven for another 1-2 hours.
8. Strain the stock through fine cheesecloth, cool and store.