Can We Clone The Doctor? Episode 1 This is going to be tough There are (as the bottle says) 23 flavours in Dr Pepper but what are they? The internet is full of theories, and lists some of them make sense and some of them dont. I have to admit - most of the lists contain flavours that are compound flavours like cola and Root Beer so I dont know how much I trust them.
There is also a formula book that surfaced from the Old Corner Drugstore in Waco Texas where Dr Pepper was invented. It contains a formula for Dr Peppers Pepsin Bitters - but the handwriting is is scribbled that no-one can agree what it says.
|Water||1 Liter (about 4 cups)|
|Dried prunes||175 Gram|
|Vanilla beans||2 (split)|
|Dry wintergreen leaves||15 Gram|
|Whole cloves||8 Gram|
|Chopped ginger||20 Gram|
|Ground nutmeg||2 1/2 Gram|
|Cardamom pods||2 Gram (about 10 pods)|
|Cinnamon stick||6 Gram|
|Wild cherry bark||3 Gram (cut and sifted)|
|Liquorice bark||3 Gram|
|Gentian root||2 Gram (cut and sifted)|
|Citric acid||10 Gram|
|Pure almond extract||30 Milliliter|
|Cherry extract||10 Milliliter|
|Lemon extract||5 Milliliter|
|Orange extract||5 Milliliter|
|Star anise extract||2 Milliliter|
1. In a saucepan, combine the water, fruit, spices, and herbs.
2. Bring to a boil and then remove from the heat and add the cherry bark, liquorice bark, sarsaparilla, and gentian root.
3. Let steep for 30 to 45 minutes.
4. Strain out the solid ingredients and return the water to the saucepan.
5. Add the sugar, citric acid and molasses and heat until dissolved.
6. Remove the syrup from the heat.
7. Stir in the extracts.
8. Serve and enjoy!