The Goda Masala can be seen as the Maharashtrian version of garam masala. It is used in several traditional Maharashtrian dishes, to give a tongue-tickling flavour and appetizing aroma. It has a whole lot of ingredients, but you can add or remove some of these as per your preference and taste. Some people, for example, add triphal too to this masala. You can use Byadagi chillies instead of Kashmiri chillies if you want less spice and a deep colour. So, what we have given you is a basic recipe that you can modify as per your taste. What is important is to split the ingredients into three groups one that needs to be dry-roasted, one that needs to be roasted with oil, and finally the group that needs to be added directly. Then, you can process each group and grind. Make sure the roasted stuff is cooled completely before grinding to avoid lumps. Use this aromatic Goda Masala to make authentic Maharashtrian dishes like Panchamrut, Dadape Pohe, Valachi Usal, and Amti.
|For dry roasting:|
|Coriander seeds||1 Cup (16 tbs) (dhania)|
|Grated dry coconut||3 Tablespoon (kopra)|
|Poppy seeds||2 Tablespoon (khus khus)|
|Sesame seeds||1 Tablespoon (til)|
|Cumin seeds||2 Tablespoon (jeera)|
|Caraway seeds||1 Tablespoon (shahjeera)|
|Star anise||7 (chakri phool)|
|For roasting in oil:|
|Mustard seeds||1 1/2 Teaspoon (rai /sarson)|
|Curry leaves||10 (kadi patta)|
|Fenugreek seeds||1/2 Tablespoon (methi)|
|Asafoetida||1/2 Tablespoon (hing)|
|Cloves||1 Tablespoon (laung / lavang)|
|Cinnamon sticks||9 Inch (dalchini)|
|Mace piece||2 (javantri)|
|Black peppercorns||1 Tablespoon (kalimirch)|
|Spice||2 Tablespoon (dagad phool or stone flower)|
|Whole dry kashmiri red chilies||5|
|Black cardamoms||3 (badi elaichi)|
|Bay leaves||7 (tejpatta)|
|Turmeric powder||3/4 Teaspoon (haldi)|
|Cardamom powder||1 Tablespoon (elaichi)|
|Nutmeg powder||1/2 Tablespoon (jaiphal)|
1. To begin making the Maharashtrian Goda Masala Recipe, first place a broad non-stick pan on a slow flame to roast all the ingredients. When the pan is moderately hot, gently and separately roast the ingredients for dry roasting one by one until they are fragrant and lightly browned. Remove them in a deep bowl and keep aside to cool. Refer big recipe with step by step images for detailed cooking procedure.
2. In the same pan, heat the oil and add mustard seeds.
3. When the seeds crackle, add the remaining ingredients mentioned to roast with oil and roast them one after another and sauté on a slow flame until they release aroma.
4. Switch off the flame and add the turmeric powder and mix well.
5. Remove them in the same bowl and add the cardamom powder and nutmeg powder and mix well. Keep aside to cool.
6. Once cooled, blend in a mixer till smooth.
7. Store in an air-tight container. Use as required.