After seeing Marcus make these on TV, I had to do it myself! So glad I did. KILLER WINGS!
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Sugar||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Coarse kosher salt||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chicken wings||3 Pound (((separated into flats and drumettes)))|
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Minced garlic||1 Tablespoon|
|Minced peeled ginger||1 Tablespoon|
|Hot sauce||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cornstarch||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cornmeal||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chipotle powder||3 Tablespoon|
|Peanut oil||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Berbere||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Hot smoked paprika||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ground cumin||2 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground white pepper||2 Tablespoon|
|Celery salt||2 Tablespoon|
|Granulated garlic||1 1/2 Teaspoon|
|Coarse kosher salt||1 1/2 Teaspoon|
|Blue cheese dressing||To Taste|
For the wings:
1. Bring 2 cups of the water, the sugar, and salt to a boil.
2. Remove from the heat, add the remaining 2 cups water and cool the brine completely.
3. Put the wings in a bowl and pour in the brine, making sure all the wings are submerged. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
For the wing sauce:
4. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
5. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring constantly, until the garlic and ginger are golden brown, about 5 minutes.
6. Add the hot sauce and sugar and bring to a simmer.
7. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 5 minutes to develop the flavors. You can leave the sauce on the back of the stove until you need it.
For the frying:
8. When you're ready to fry, drain the wings and pat them dry with paper towels.
9. Put the flour, cornstarch, cornmeal, and chipotle powder in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
10. Dredge the wings in the seasoned flour, making sure each piece is well coated. Leave them on a rack while you heat the oil.
11. Fill a large saucepan one-third full with peanut oil. Set over medium-high heat and heat to 360 degrees F.
12. Working in batches, fry the wings until they're fully cooked and golden brown, 8 to 9 minutes. Keep an eye on the heat and adjust it to keep the oil between 350 and 375 degrees F. Drain the wings on a rack set over a baking sheet.
For Chicken Shake:
13. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix to blend.
14. When you've fried all the wings, put them into a large bowl, pour in the wing sauce, and toss to coat all the wings with sauce.
15. Pile the wings onto a platter, sprinkle on some of the Chicken Shake and serve with blue cheese dressing and cucumber if desired.