This is a very simple reciepe to make a delicious potato curry or sabji. This sabji can be slightly modified to be made with or without a gravy. Today we will be making this potato sabji with a tomato based gravy.
|Potatoes||2 Large , peeled, cubed and soaked in water|
|Tomato||1 , diced|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon , shredded|
|Mustard seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chili powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground coriander||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cumin||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Coriander||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) , chopped finely|
1. In a pot, heat oil on high.
2. Add the mustard seeds and allow them to splutter. Turn the heat down to medium.
3. Add the asafoetida powder and turmeric.
4. Add the potatoes and water (the chef has estimated 4 cups, ideally, you want enough water so that the potatoes are almost completely covered). Turn the heat up on high.
5. Add the salt, jaggery, chili powder, ginger, coriander, cumin powder and tomatoes. Stir and allow to cook on high with the pot uncovered, bring to a boil.
6. Once it comes to a boil, turn the stove down to low-medium, bring it down to a simmer and partially cover. Allow to simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Pick up a piece of potato with a spoon, and check to see if it is tender and cooked through.
8. Turn off the stove and add the lemon juice and cilantro to garnish.
9. Serve hot accompanied with chapatis or rice.
For more information please visit: http://thursdayfordinner.com