Eliminating rice reduces the calorie count of these spinach idlis, making them suitable for diabetics as well. The same moong dal batter can also be used to make healthy pankis and pancakes.
|Yellow moong dal||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) , soaked for 3 hours and drained (split yellow gram)|
|Blanched and chopped spinach||3/4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Green chili||3 , roughly chopped|
|Low fat curd||1 Tablespoon|
|Fruit salt||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Oil||1/4 Teaspoon (For greasing)|
1. In blender, add yellow moong dal, spinach and green chili. Blend into a smooth paste without using any water.
2. Into a bowl, transfer the mixture, add curd and salt. Mix well.
3. Just before steaming, add the fruit salt to the batter and pour 2 teaspoons water over it. When the bubbles form, mix gently.
4. Grease the idli molds using oil, put spoonfuls of the batter into each grooves and steam in a steamer for 10-12 minutes or until done. Cool slightly.
5. Serve with sambhar and healthy coconut chutney.