A luxuriously rich recipe of deep-fried koftas reinforced with the goodness of greens like spinach, coriander and fenugreek, cooked in white gravy enriched with saffron and cream.
|For onion paste|
|Roughly chopped onions||1 3/4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Cashew nuts||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (kaju)|
|Garlic cloves||7 (lehsun)|
|Melon seeds||2 Tablespoon (charmagaz)|
|Ginger piece||1/2 Inch (adrak)|
|Water||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|For white gravy|
|Cloves||3 (laung / lavang)|
|Finely chopped green chillies||1 Tablespoon|
|Garam masala||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Whisked yoghurt||3/4 Cup (12 tbs) (curd/dahi)|
|Fresh cream||2 Tablespoon|
|Boiled mashed potatoes||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Finely chopped coriander||3/4 Cup (12 tbs) (dhania)|
|Finely chopped spinach||3/4 Cup (12 tbs) (palak)|
|Chopped fenugreek leaves||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (methi)|
|Green chilli paste||2 Teaspoon|
|Oil||1/2 Liter (For deep frying)|
|Chilli powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Dried fenugreek leaves||1/2 Teaspoon (kasuri methi)|
|Saffron strands||5 (kesar)|
|Water||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Finely chopped coriander||1 Tablespoon (dhania)|
FOR THE ONION PASTE
1. In a kadai, combine all the paste ingredients along with 1.5 cups of water and cook for 8 - 10 minutes until onions are soft. Keep aside to cool. Then blend in mixer to form a smooth paste. Keep aside.
FOR THE WHITE GRAVY
2. In a kadai, add oil and heat, add cardamom and cloves and sauté for a few seconds. Then add green chilies and prepared onion paste and mix well. Sauté for 2 - 3 minutes.
3. Now add garam masala and yogurt and mix well. Cook for a couple of minutes, while stirring occasionally. Add cream and salt, mix well and cook for a minute. Turn off heat and keep aside.
FOR THE SPINACH KOFTAS
4. In a bowl, combine together all the ingredients and mix properly. Divide the mixture into sixteen equal parts and form round balls.
5. Add oil to the kadai and when hot dip in the kofta balls carefully, a few at a time. Deep fry them until golden brown from all sides. Drain on paper towel and keep aside.
6. In a kadai, combine the prepared white gravy with chili powder, dried fenugreek leaves, and ¼ cup of water and cook for a minute or two, while stirring continuously. Now add cream and mix properly. Simmer for a minute, while stirring continuously.
7. In the meantime, combine together saffron strands and milk in a bowl, and add this mixture to the gravy. Cook for a minute.
8. Add spinach koftas to the hot gravy, before serving, and simmer for a couple of minutes.
9. Garnish the kofta dish with coriander and serve hot with parathas.
Calories 744Calories from Fat 296
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 34 g52.3%
Saturated Fat 5 g25%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 319 mg13.29%
Total Carbohydrates 101 g33.7%
Dietary Fiber 10 g40%
Sugars 9 g
Protein 16 g32%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 2976Calories from Fat 1184
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 136 g209.2%
Saturated Fat 20 g100%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 1276 mg53.16%
Total Carbohydrates 404 g134.8%
Dietary Fiber 40 g160%
Sugars 36 g
Protein 64 g128%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet