A spectacular preparation where a simple toor dal is combined with spinach, thus enhancing the appearance and flavor of the dish! This mildly spiced recipe is a storehouse of nutrients since the dal is rich in protein whereas spinach is a rich source of calcium. Palak di dal should be eaten hot with roti or rice.
|Spinach||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) , finely chopped (palak)|
|Toor daal||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Green chilies||2 Teaspoon , finely chopped|
|Cumin seeds||1/2 Teaspoon (jeera)|
|Cloves||3 (laung / lavang)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. In a bowl, take the toor dal and clean, wash, and soak it for an hour. Then drain away the water and add it to the cooker, along with turmeric powder, green chilies, salt and ¾ cup of water. Mix properly and pressure cook for three whistles.
2. Open the cooker lid when the steam escapes out, and then mash the dal slightly. Keep it aside.
3. Take a deep wok/kadai and add cumin seeds. As soon as they start crackling, add cloves, bayleaves, asafoetida and sauté for a few seconds. Then add spinach, mix properly and sauté for a minute.
4. Add the already prepared dal, ¼ cup of water, mix properly and cook for a couple of minutes, while stirring intermittently.
5. Serve the dal hot with rice or roti.
Serving size Complete recipe
Calories 251Calories from Fat 58
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10.8%
Saturated Fat %
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 422 mg17.58%
Total Carbohydrates 38 g12.7%
Dietary Fiber 9 g36%
Protein 13 g26%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet