Jalfrazie is a combination of veggies flavored with sweet and sour gravy. The USP of this recipe however is the brown rice. Since it is not milled, its outer covering or bran that is rich in fiber is kept intact, making it a healthy and diabetic-friendly ingredient. It is good for weight-watchers too. Brown rice requires more water and takes more time to cook as compared to normal rice, thus requiring little patience while preparing the dish. Yet, believe me every minute spent is worth the effort!
|Mixed vegetable||1 Cup (16 tbs) , chopped and boiled (carrots , cauliflower florets , sweet corn kernel etc)|
|Spring onion whites||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) , thinly sliced|
|Capsicum||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) , sliced|
|Tomatoes||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) , finely chopped|
|Tomato puree||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Tomato ketchup||1 Tablespoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 Teaspoon (haldi)|
|Chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Coriander and cumin powder||1 Teaspoon (dhaniya jeera powder)|
|Garam masala||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Cornflour||1 Teaspoon , dissolved in 1/2 cup water|
|Cooked brown rice||3 Cup (48 tbs) (refer the tip section)|
|Low fat milk||2 Tablespoon (99.9% fat|
|For the garnish|
|Spring onion greens||1 Tablespoon , finely chopped|
FOR THE JALFRAZIE
1. In a hot deep non-stick pan, add spring onion whites, roast them on low flame until light brown.
2. Now add capsicum and roast on low heat for a minute before adding tomatoes and two tablespoons of water. Cook for a couple of minutes until tomatoes get soft.
3. Add tomato purée, tomato ketchup, turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder, and garam masala. Mix properly and cook for half a minute before adding cornflour mixture, salt, sugar, and vinegar. Cook for a minute or so.
4. Now add mixed vegetables, mix properly, and cook on medium heat for a couple of minutes. Keep it aside.
5. Divide brown rice into two equal parts and spread one part of it in an oven-proof bowl. Now spread the prepared jalfrazie over it in an even manner.
6. Finally spread the remaining brown rice, followed by sprinkling milk over it. Cover with an oven-proof lid.
7. Bake in pre-heated oven at 180 degrees C (360 degrees F) for 10 - 15 minutes or microwave on high for a couple of minutes.
8. Serve the dish after garnishing with spring onion greens.
1 cup of soaked and drained brown rice makes 3 cups of cooked rice. Add soaked rice to boiling water in a pan, along with salt and one teaspoon of oil. Boil the rice till 85% cooked, and then drain away the water. Use the rice as required.
Calories 153Calories from Fat 11
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 1 g1.5%
Saturated Fat %
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 122 mg5.08%
Total Carbohydrates 32 g10.7%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16%
Sugars 2 g
Protein 4 g8%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 918Calories from Fat 66
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9%
Saturated Fat 0 0%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 732 mg30.48%
Total Carbohydrates 192 g64.2%
Dietary Fiber 24 g96%
Sugars 12 g
Protein 24 g48%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet