Truly royal! unlike the traditional method of adding loads of cream, ghee etc. To make this "shahi" recipe, here we use low fat milk and zero-oil. You won't know the difference... it tastes just as good! i have replaced cream with poppy seeds and cashewnut paste to impart the required richness and flavor. Poppy seeds also add calcium, iron, zinc and fibre.
|For yellow rice|
|Uncooked long grain rice||1 1/4 Cup (20 tbs) , soaked for 1 hour and drained|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 Teaspoon|
|For shahi korma|
|Grated onion||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ginger garlic paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Tomato puree||1 Tablespoon|
|Boiled mixed vegetables||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs) (carrot , french beans , potato , green peas etc)|
|Low fat milk||5 1/2 Tablespoon , divided (99.7 % fat|
|Chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|For the paste|
|Broken cashew nuts||1 Tablespoon|
|Poppy seeds||2 Tablespoon|
|Finely chopped coriander||1 Tablespoon|
1. Soak poppy seeds and cashew nuts in ¼ cup of warm water for 1 hour and then blend into a fine paste. Set aside.
For Yellow Rice:
2. Heat the pressure cooker and dry roast cloves, cardamom, bay leaf and cinnamon on low flame for a few seconds.
3. Add rice, turmeric powder and season with salt. Stir and saute rice over medium flame for 1-2 minutes.
4. Pour 2 cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Set aside.
For Shahi Korma:
5. Place a non-stick pan over medium flame and dry roast cloves, cardamom and bay leaf for a few seconds.
6. Add grated onion and ginger-garlic paste. Dry roast over medium flame until the onion turn light brown in color. Sprinkle little water over it if the mixture starts burning.
7. Stir in tomato puree, sugar and vegetables. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
8. Add the prepared paste, 3½ tablespoons of milk and mix well. Cook for a minute then season with salt and chili powder.
9. Pour ¼ cup of water, stir and cook for 1-2 minutes.
10. Divide the yellow rice into 2 equal portions.
11. In a baking dish, spread one portion of the yellow rice evenly at the bottom. Discard the bay leaf and spread the shahi korma over it.
12. Spread the remaining yellow rice evenly over the korma. Pour the remaining 2 tablespoons of milk on top.
13. Cover and microwave on high for 2 minutes or bake in a preheated oven at 200 degree C or 400 degree F for 10 minutes.
14. Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Calories 340Calories from Fat 47
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9.2%
Saturated Fat %
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 201 mg8.38%
Total Carbohydrates 64 g21.3%
Dietary Fiber 6 g24%
Sugars 5 g
Protein 9 g18%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 1360Calories from Fat 188
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g36.8%
Saturated Fat 0 0%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 804 mg33.52%
Total Carbohydrates 256 g85.2%
Dietary Fiber 24 g96%
Sugars 20 g
Protein 36 g72%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet