The Rice and Curry Sizzler is ideal for a monsoon night, when you yearn for a steaming hot, spicy dinner that will make you feel snug and warm. It is a sumptuous one-dish meal that you can whip up quite easily. The use of Pav Bhaji Masala gives it a very enticing flavor despite the simple procedure. If you do not have a sizzler plate, you can serve on a hot, sterilized dish that will retain the heat for a while, but the rice and curry should be piping hot, and the arrangement should be neat and tempting!
|Cooked rice||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Oil||1 1/2 Tablespoon|
|Cumin seeds||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped onion||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Finely chopped green chili||1 Teaspoon|
|Shredded spinach||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Finely chopped tomatoes||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Pav bhaaji masala||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Boiled potato chunks||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) , peeled and cubed|
|Boiled green peas||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Paneer cubes||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (cottage cheese)|
|Finely chopped coriander||1 Tablespoon|
|Chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
1. In a non-stick griddle, heat oil and add the cumin seeds. Allow the cumin to splutter.
2. Add onion and saute on a medium flame for 1 -2 minutes.
3. Add green chilies, spinach and salt. Cook for another 30 seconds.
4. Stir in rice and season with salt. Stir occasionally and cook for 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
5. Place a non-stick griddle over medium flame, heat oil and saute onion in it for 1-2 minutes.
6. Add tomato, green chili, pav bhaji masala and salt. Mix well and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
7. Add potatoes and mash using a potato masher. Cook for 1 minute.
8. Stir in 2 tablespoons of water, green peas, paneer, coriander and chili powder. Mash lightly and cook for 1-2 minutes.
9. Pour another 2 tablespoons of water, season with salt, mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes.
10. Heat a sizzler plate over an open flame till it is red hot. Place curry on the centre of the plate. Arrange rice all around the plate.
11. Sprinkle the oil and water mixture and serve immediately while sizzling with papad.
Serving size Complete recipe
Calories 840Calories from Fat 290
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 33 g50.8%
Saturated Fat 5 g25%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 951 mg39.63%
Total Carbohydrates 111 g37%
Dietary Fiber 10 g40%
Sugars 11 g
Protein 27 g54%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet