This protein-rich rice preparation also presents a fiesta of colours, thanks to the use of a large variety of sprouts and veggies. Traditional indian spices add flavour to the rice, while the innovative use of pav bhaji masala imparts a tempting aroma to the vegetable preparation. The method adopted, of preparing the rice and veggies separately and then mixing them ensures that this mixed sprouts rice is conveniently moist and not too dry. It is as good as having a pulao and a subzi, but in a convenient one-dish format that you will love. Serve with a raita of your choice, and voila, you have a delicious and sumptuous meal.
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Cardamom||2 , broken lightly|
|Long grained rice||1 1/4 Cup (20 tbs) , soaked for 15 minutes and drained|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Hot water||2 1/2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|For the sprouts and vegetable mixture|
|Grated onion||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Chili powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Pav bhaji masala||1 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped tomatoes||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Mixed sprouts||1 Cup (16 tbs) , boiled (red chana, chawli, moong, rajma etc)|
|Chopped mixed boiled vegetables||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (carrots, French beans, green peas etc)|
|Finely chopped coriander||2 Tablespoon|
1. In a pressure cooker, heat ghee, add cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf and cardamom. Stir and saute the spices over medium flame for 1 minute.
2. Add rice and saute for another 1 minute.
3. Add turmeric powder, salt and 2 ½ cups of hot water. Mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Set aside.
For Sprouts and Vegetable Mixture
4. In a non-stick pan, heat butter, add onion and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
5. Add garlic paste, chili powder, pav bhaji masala, 2 tablespoons of water, mix well and cook for 1 minute.
6. Stir in tomato, 2 tablespoons of water, and cook over medium flame for 1-2 minutes.
7. Add boiled sprouts, boiled mixed vegetables, and 2 tablespoons of water. Stir occasionally and cook for 2 minutes.
8. Season with salt, add coriander, mix well and cook for 1 minute.
9. Add the rice into the sprouts and vegetable mixture, mix lightly and cook over medium flame for 1 minute.
10. Serve rice hot with fresh curd, raita or kadhi.
Calories 361Calories from Fat 101
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.5%
Saturated Fat 6 g30%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 237 mg9.88%
Total Carbohydrates 58 g19.3%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16%
Sugars 4 g
Protein 7 g14%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 1444Calories from Fat 404
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 48 g74%
Saturated Fat 24 g120%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 948 mg39.52%
Total Carbohydrates 232 g77.2%
Dietary Fiber 16 g64%
Sugars 16 g
Protein 28 g56%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet