Traditional South Indian style dish where rice and vegetables are cooked in tamarind water with some assorted Indian spices.
|Vegetable oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Curry leaves||10 ((8|
|Shallots||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped beans||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped capsicum||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped carrot||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped potato||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Rice||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) , soaked in water for half an hour and drained|
|Split red gram||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) , soaked in water for half an hour and drained|
|Tamarind water||4 Tablespoon ((Tamarind paste diluted with water))|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Clarified butter||2 Teaspoon ((Ghee))|
|For the paste|
|Split bengal gram||1 Tablespoon|
|Split black lentil||1 Tablespoon|
|Cinnamon stick||1/2 Inch|
|Grated coconut||3 Teaspoon|
|Whole dry red chilies||4|
|Coriander seeds||2 Teaspoon|
For the Paste:
1. In a blender add vegetable oil, split Bengal gram, split black lentil, cinnamon stick, grated coconut, dry red chilies and coriander seeds. Blend into a fine paste and keep aside.
2. In a pan heat vegetable oil, add curry leaves, shallots, carrots, potatoes, capsicum, and beans. Sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
3. Add turmeric powder, mix well and cook till the turmeric loses its raw smell.
4. Now add rice, followed by split red gram and mix gently.
5. Add the tamarind water, salt, prepared paste and mix well. Pour water, stir gently, cover and let it cook on a high flame till the water dries up.
6. Add ghee, mix well and serve hot.