Tikka Masala is a very popular Indian dish and we're not the only country claiming it's origin. Pakistan believes that they invented it and Britain proclaims that it is their National dish. While they fight it out, let's learn how to make it. This recipe makes a delicious, luscious and spicy gravy with delicate chunks of chicken.
|Tandoori masala||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Boneless chicken||1 Kilogram|
|Onion||1/2 Large , cut into large pieces, barbecued|
|Green bell pepper||1/2 Medium , seeded, cut into large pieces, barbecued|
|For the curry paste|
|Red onion||1 Medium , chopped finely|
|Green chillies||3 Medium , chopped finely|
|Ginger piece||1 Inch , chopped|
|Garlic||8 Clove (40 gm) , chopped|
|Cardamom pod||2 Medium|
|Red chili powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Garam masala powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Tomato puree/Tomato paste||2 Teaspoon|
|Tomato||1 Large , chopped|
|Coriander leaves||2 Tablespoon , chopped finely|
1. In a bowl, add the chicken cubes and tandoori marinade. Mix well till coated. Cover and let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours.
2. Remove from the fridge, skewer it and grill till it is half cooked on all sides. Remove from grill and set aside.
3. In a pan heat oil. Put the onions and sauté till translucent. Add the green chillies, ginger and garlic. Continue to sauté till the onion turns brown. Put the cloves, cardamom and cinnamon. Sprinkle the sugar and continue to sauté till they are caramelized.
4. Season with red chilli powder, turmeric powder and garam masala powder. Add the tomato puree and stir well till it is incorporated into the sauce. Put in the tomatoes and stir well. Cover and cook for a few minutes or till the tomatoes are soft (add little water if it is to dry to avoid burning). Turn off the heat.
5. Transfer the sauce into the blender (retain some in the pan if desired, for the texture). Blend till it a smooth paste.
6. Return the paste to the pan and turn on the heat to medium. Stir the paste well and cook for a minute. Add the chicken pieces and stir well. Pour the cream, stir to mix and put in the barbecued onions and green pepper. Cook for a few more minutes while stirring gently and turn off the heat.
7. In a serving plate, garnish with coriander leaves and serve the chicken tikka with rotis or rice.
For the recipe of Tandoori Masala Click Here
Calories 375Calories from Fat 143
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g26.2%
Saturated Fat 4 g20%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 4369 mg182.04%
Total Carbohydrates 34 g11.3%
Dietary Fiber 7 g28%
Sugars 10 g
Protein 32 g64%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 2250Calories from Fat 858
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 102 g157.2%
Saturated Fat 24 g120%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 26214 mg1092.24%
Total Carbohydrates 204 g67.8%
Dietary Fiber 42 g168%
Sugars 60 g
Protein 192 g384%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet