Stuffed peppers is a very special dish which exists in different names and varieties in different parts of the world. In India, it is known by the name Bharvan Mirch or Bharva Hari Mirch, stuffed with cooked meat, potatoes, onions, seasoned with chili, turmeric, coriander, cilantro, salt and lemon juice. The peppers are then either browned in a tava (frying pan) or baked in an oven.
|Bell peppers||5 Small , tops cut off and discarded (Green, yellow, red or orange bell peppers may be used)|
|For the stuffing|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Spice mix||1 Tablespoon (Mix of cumin seeds, fennel seeds, mustard seeds, onion seeds used)|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Ginger garlic paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Red chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Coriander and cumin powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Shredded coconut||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ground peanuts||1 Tablespoon|
|Sesame seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Chickpea flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Water||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Boiled potatoes||4 Medium , mashed|
|Garam masala||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Chaat masala||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Coriander leaves||2 Tablespoon , chopped|
|For greasing the bell peppers|
|Vegetable oil||2 Teaspoon (As needed)|
|For sprinkling on top of the stuffed peppers|
|Sesame seeds||1 Tablespoon (As needed)|
1. In a pot with water, boil potatoes. Once done, peel, mash them well and set aside.
2. Cut the top off the bell peppers, remove the insides, grease the surface of the peppers with vegetable oil and set aside.
3. Heat a pan with oil. When oil turns hot, add the spice mix and allow it to splutter.
4. Add turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste, red chili powder and coriander-cumin powder. Stir fry the spices for a minute.
5. Add shredded coconut, ground peanuts,sesame seeds, salt and chickpea flour. Stir fry for a couple of minutes until all the spices are well incorporated with the coconut and flour.
6. Add water and mix to combine everything well.
7. Then add the mashed potatoes, garam masala and chaat masala. Stir to mix everything well.
8. Finally add the coriander leaves and stir for 30 seconds. Turn off the heat and set the stuffing aside to cool.
9. Preheat the oven to 450 F / 230 C.
10. Take each bell pepper, spoon the stuffing and stuff each of the peppers until full. Even out the surface with the help of a butter knife.
11. Arrange all the stuffed peppers on a baking pan. Sprinkle sesame seeds over the top of each pepper.
12. Place in the preheated oven for 25 - 30 minutes or until the pepper skin starts wrinkling.
13. Serve hot and enjoy!
Calories 246Calories from Fat 107
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.5%
Saturated Fat 2 g10%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 193 mg8.04%
Total Carbohydrates 29 g9.7%
Dietary Fiber 7 g28%
Sugars 2 g
Protein 7 g14%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 1476Calories from Fat 642
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 72 g111%
Saturated Fat 12 g60%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 1158 mg48.24%
Total Carbohydrates 174 g58.2%
Dietary Fiber 42 g168%
Sugars 12 g
Protein 42 g84%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet