Your favourite veggies cooked in mildly spiced coconut milk gravy! Sounds interesting? Well it tastes interesting too. Nothing can be as simple as this when you have to feed a vegan or vegetarian crowd! Slightly salty and sweet at the same time, the feel of biting into diced vegetables is gorgeous. Leave aside the vegetable chopping part this dish is ready in about 30 min. A must try for all vegans and vegetarians. Substitute veggies with your favourite meat (chicken or mutton) and there you have the corresponding meat stew ready.
|Carrot||1 Medium , cubed|
|Potato||1 Medium , cubed|
|Cauliflower florets||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|French bean||1 Bunch (100 gm) , diced|
|For the gravy|
|Onion and garlic||1 Medium , thinly sliced|
|Green chili||5 Medium , slit lengthwise|
|Ginger and garlic paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Spice blend||1 Teaspoon (Cinnamon, Cloves, Cardamom)|
|Thin coconut milk||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Thick coconut milk||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (or more for thicker consistency)|
|Garam masala||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Curry leaves||2 Tablespoon (divided)|
|Coconut oil/Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
1. Make think coconut milk by adding 1 cup of water to ½ cup of thick coconut milk. Keep aside.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the pan and add the whole spices. Saute for a minute taking care the spices do not burn.
3. Add sliced onions along with crushed ginger garlic mix, curry leaves and slit green chillies. Saute in medium flame until onion turn slightly crispy.
4. Add the diced vegetables and mix well to coat.
5. Add thin coconut milk along with salt and garam masala, let it boil and then simmer to cook the vegetables thoroughly.
I like to leave it on simmer for at least 15-20 minutes with occasional stirring. This ensures the vegetables soak in the mild spices and coconut flavour well.
6. Once the vegetables are cooked, add the thick coconut milk. Reduce the heat to low, cook for 5 minutes, but DO NOT let it boil. Remove from stove
7. Garnish with a spring of curry leaves and a tablespoon of coconut oil (optional).
To save time at the vegetable cooking stage, microwave the diced veggies for 2-4 minutes before adding them.
Some add cashew nut paste for a thicker gravy consistency, but I feel stew has to be a little thin.
Calories 335Calories from Fat 202
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g36.9%
Saturated Fat 21 g105%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 305 mg12.71%
Total Carbohydrates 30 g10%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16%
Sugars 18 g
Protein 4 g8%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 2010Calories from Fat 1212
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 144 g221.4%
Saturated Fat 126 g630%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 1830 mg76.26%
Total Carbohydrates 180 g60%
Dietary Fiber 24 g96%
Sugars 108 g
Protein 24 g48%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet