Delicious Indian recipe you can enjoy with family and friends.
|Bell peppers||6 Medium (Assorted colors used)|
|Oil||2 Dash (For greasing the baking pan)|
|For the stuffing|
|Spice mix||1 Tablespoon (Whole cumin, mustard and fennel seeds may be used)|
|Turmeric powder||1 Pinch|
|Ginger paste||1/2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic paste||1/2 Tablespoon|
|Red chili powder||To Taste|
|Coriander cumin powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Shredded coconut||3 Tablespoon|
|Ground peanut||1 Tablespoon|
|Sesame seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Chickpea flour||2 Tablespoon (Besan)|
|Water||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (As needed)|
|Boiled potato||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs) , mashed|
|Coriander leaves||1 Tablespoon , chopped finely (For garnishing)|
|Garam masala||1 Pinch (Optional)|
|Chaat masala||1 Pinch (Optional)|
|For the gravy|
|Cumin seeds||1/2 Tablespoon|
|Turmeric powder||1 Pinch (Haldi)|
|Onion||1 Large , chopped finely|
|Tomatoes||3 Large (Canned crushed tomatoes or puree can be used)|
|Garam masala||1 Teaspoon (As per taste)|
|Red chili powder||1 Teaspoon (As per taste)|
|Heavy cream/Yogurt||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Coriander leaves||1 Tablespoon , chopped|
1. Cut each bell pepper into half, remove the insides and set aside.
2. Boil and mash potatoes and keep aside.
3. Grease a baking pan with a little oil.
To prepare the stuffing:
4. Heat a pan with couple of tablespoons oil.
5. When the oil is hot, add the spice mix, turmeric, ginger paste, garlic paste, red chili powder and coriander-cumin powder. Stir for a few seconds.
6. Add the shredded coconut and ground peanut and roast on a medium heat.
7. Stir in some sesame seeds, salt and chickpea flour. Stir to mix well.
8. Add a little bit of water and add the boiled and mashed potatoes. Add garam masala and chaat masala, if using. Stir well and turn off the heat.
9. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves and set aside to cool.
10. Preheat the oven to 450 F.
11. Spoon portions of the stuffing and fill each half of bell pepper.
12. Arrange the stuffed bell peppers on the greased baking pan and place in the preheated oven for about 20 - 25 minutes or until you see wrinkles on the skin.
Meanwhile, to prepare the gravy:
13. Heat pan with oil, add cumin seeds, turmeric powder.
14. Add ginger paste, garlic paste and onions. Stir to cook the onions until the edges turn golden brown. Add salt.
15. At this point, add the cashews and raisins and stir for a minute.
16. Add the tomatoes, a little water, garam masala and red chili powder. Stir for a couple of minutes.
17. Add heavy cream and mix to combine all the spices well with the cream. (At this point you may add more water, if more gravy is preferred)
18. Remove the prepared gravy onto a serving plate and arrange the roasted bell peppers on top. (You may serve as an appetizer without the gravy)
19. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with naan or as it is as an appetizer.
You may cook the bell peppers either in a pan or roast in the oven or even in a microwave until you see the skin wrinkled.
Calories 277Calories from Fat 127
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.1%
Saturated Fat 3 g15%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 128 mg5.33%
Total Carbohydrates 34 g11.3%
Dietary Fiber 8 g32%
Sugars 11 g
Protein 7 g14%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 1662Calories from Fat 762
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 90 g138.6%
Saturated Fat 18 g90%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 768 mg31.98%
Total Carbohydrates 204 g67.8%
Dietary Fiber 48 g192%
Sugars 66 g
Protein 42 g84%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet