This is a rice delicacy which can be prepared using different varieties of fish. The dish is prepared by cooking fish in a combination of yogurt and spices and then layering it with rice.
|King fish||1000 Gram , cut into pieces|
|Oil||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (For deep frying onions)|
|Onions||250 Gram , sliced|
|Yogurt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ginger||25 Gram , grated|
|Kewra essence||30 Milliliter|
|Saffron||1 Pinch (Soaked in warm water)|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs) (For boiling the rice)|
|Salt||2 Teaspoon (Boiled in salt water)|
|Coriander seeds||25 Gram , ground|
|Cumin seeds||5 Gram , ground|
|Cinnamon stick||1 Medium|
|Star anise||3 Gram , ground|
|Cardamoms||3 Gram , ground|
|Cloves||1 1/2 Gram , ground|
|Peppercorns||1 1/2 Gram , ground|
|For the seasoning|
|Roasted cashews||30 Gram|
|Onions||4 Medium , sliced (Deep fried till brown in color and crispy)|
1. Skin the fish. Remove the bones. Cut into pieces. Wash thoroughly and dry completely on a paper towel.
2. Take a mortar & pestle and pound coarsely the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cinnamon, star anise, cardamom, peppercorns and cloves.
3. Wash and soak the rice for about 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
4. In a pan heat the ghee and fry the sliced onions till they turn brown in color. Drain and set aside on a paper towel to drain away the excess oil.
5. In the same pan, add yogurt, salt, and the ground mixture of spices and ginger. Stir gently.
6. When the yogurt and spice mix starts to boil, add the fish pieces very gently and the fried onions. Cook uncovered on a medium heat stirring occasionally and gently, making sure not to break the fish pieces. Cook till the fish is tender and the ghee separates from the spices.
7. Add kewra water and the saffron diluted in warm water.
8. In a large pot boil the rice in water and salt. When the rice is almost cooked, drain in a sieve. Spread the rice in a wide dish to cool it slightly.
9. Once cooled, take a heavy bottomed large pan, greased with a little ghee at the bottom. Layer the bottom with 1/3 of the cooked rice spreading it evenly.
10. Sprinkle some milk over the rice and layer the top of the rice with ½ of the fish along with the gravy spreading evenly.
12. Once again layer the rice and repeat another layer of fish and finish with a layer of rice on top. Cover with a damp cloth and cook on a medium heat for about 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, turn down the heat to low for about 30 minutes.
13. Before serving spread over some roasted cashews and raisins along with deep fried onions over the rice.
14. Serve warm with a raitha of your choice
Calories 1076Calories from Fat 421
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 56 g86.2%
Saturated Fat 27 g135%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 105 mg4.38%
Total Carbohydrates 96 g32%
Dietary Fiber 6 g24%
Sugars 15 g
Protein 45 g90%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 6456Calories from Fat 2526
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 336 g517.2%
Saturated Fat 162 g810%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 630 mg26.28%
Total Carbohydrates 576 g192%
Dietary Fiber 36 g144%
Sugars 90 g
Protein 270 g540%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet