This is another favorite dish of Uttarakhand, savored with rice on cold winter days.
|Bhatt dal||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Black soybean)|
|Oil||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Red chilies||2 Medium|
|Red chili powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Garam masala||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Water||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Pure ghee||1 Teaspoon (For garnish)|
1. Heat oil in an iron kadai. Add jambu and whole red chilies and fry.
2. Now add bhatt dal and fry till spluttering tapers down.
3. Add wheat flour to this and fry till reddish.
4. Immediately start pouring water, stirring along to prevent formation of lumps.
5. Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder and salt.
6. Allow to boil and then simmer on low flame for 20 minutes. A delicious aroma will come from the chudkani when done.
7. Add garam masala and remove from flame.
8. Garnish with pure ghee and serve hot with rice.
Serving size Complete recipe
Calories 1549Calories from Fat 1145
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 130 g200%
Saturated Fat 19 g95%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 866 mg36.08%
Total Carbohydrates 89 g29.7%
Dietary Fiber 26 g104%
Sugars 4 g
Protein 30 g60%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet