Kaya mezhukkupuratti or raw banana stir fry is a very regular side dish in many Kerala homes. It is an integral part of lunch and prepared using raw banana. An interesting variation of this dish is also prepared using ripe bananas.
|Ethapazham||4 Medium , sliced ((kerala plantain))|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Dry red chilies||5 Medium|
|Shallots||6 Medium , finely chopped|
|Garlic||4 Medium , crushed|
|Coconut oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Water||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Peel bananas and slice them finely in lengthwise pattern.
2. In a mortar and pestle, grind dry chilies, shallots, and garlic to form a coarser paste.
3. In a saucepan, add sliced bananas, salt, turmeric powder along with little water and pressure cook it until banana gets ¾ cooked. Remove from heat.
4. In a pan heat oil, and sauté chili paste. Stir in cooked bananas and pressure cook for 5 minutes until banana turns soft.
5. Serve this kaya mezhukupuratti with rice.
Serving size Complete recipe
Calories 1656Calories from Fat 424
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 49 g75.4%
Saturated Fat 40 g200%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 1035 mg43.13%
Total Carbohydrates 325 g108.3%
Dietary Fiber 24 g96%
Sugars 139 g
Protein 18 g36%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet