Learn how to make delicious Chole at home with Anushruti only on Rajshri Food.
Chole is a very popular Punjabi dish typically served with bhature.It is spicy chickpeas gravy which is tasty and lip smacking and is among the popular dishes from Indian Cuisine. So watch and learn how to make mouth watering Chole at home with Anushruti only on Rajshri Food.
|4 Cup (64 tbs)
|To make tamarind paste:
|To be ground to a smooth paste
|Green cardamom pods
|Coriander seed powder
|Cumin seed powder
|Red chili powder
|For the seasoning:
1. Wash and soak the chickpeas in plenty of water overnight or for 24 hours. (Soaking this longer helps to remove the gas causing compounds, the white frothy substance that collects on the top is what you need to get rid of).
2. Drain the soaking water and pressure cook the chickpeas with water until tender, 10 to 15 minutes on low heat after the first whistle. If you have the patience or dont have a pressure cooker then cook the beans in a stock pot until tender, about 45 minutes to an hour.
3. In a blender put in all the spices and the spice powders and blend to a coarse powder.
4. Put in the chopped tomatoes, ginger, green chili and coriander and blend to a smooth puree without using any water.
5. In a wok or kadhai, heat the oil and once the oil is hot, stir in the shahi jeera and after a few seconds, put in the asafetida. Then you need to add the spiced tomato puree and cook till the oil separates from the tomatoes on medium low heat, stirring in between, about 5 to 8 minutes.
6. Mash the tamarind with your hands and extract the juice using a strainer. (You can also do this while adding the tamarind into the chickpeas by holding the strainer over the chickpeas).
7. Put in the cooked chickpeas, the cooking water, the tamarind extract and cook till the water is reduced and you get a gravy of the required consistency.
8. Stir in the chat masala and salt and turn off the heat.
9. Garnish with fresh coriander and chilies if you like and serve hot with rice or Indian breads. Chole is ready to be served!