Watch how to make Ajwaini Tamatar Bhindi, that is, Okra In Carom Spiced Tomato Sauce, a delicious recipe by Anushruti.
Okra / Bhindi is a very popular dish in almost every Indian household. Anushruti brings you a delicious version of bhindi cooked in spicy ajwain and tomato flavours. Check out her take on this okra recipe which is not only delicious but also has digestive and medicinal properties.
|Tomatoes||6 , pureed|
|Oil||3 Tablespoon (divided)|
|Carom seeds||1 1/2 Teaspoon|
|Yellow asafetida powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Red chilli powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Raw sugar||1 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1 1/2 Teaspoon|
1. Clean the okra and dry them properly. Cut them into 1” pieces. It's important that the okras are dry or else they ooze out a pulp and turn stringy when cooked.
2. In a wok or kadhai, heat 2 tbsp oil. Put in the okra and stir for a couple of minutes on a medium flame. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium-low flame until done. Keep stirring in between to prevent scorching the vegetables. -
3. Puree the tomatoes in a blender or a food processor.
4. In the same wok or kadhai that you used to cook the bhindi, heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil.
5. Put in the carom/ajwain seeds. After they turn aromatic, about 30 to 40 seconds, stir in the asafoetida powder and the red chilli powder.
6. Add the pureed tomatoes and cook on a medium flame until the tomato puree begins to simmer. Stir in the sugar, lower the flame and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes, until the tomatoes are properly cooked.
7. Put in the optional cashew paste. Mix in the cooked okra, add the salt.
8. Serve hot.