Samosas, or samoosa is something we all dig on, punjabi samosa is the type we make at home with moderate garam masala flavor, nuts and peas.. Here I'm going to show you how to make street style samosa with the perfect dough, and filling. This street style chatpata, spicy yet tangy aloo samosa's mint, cumin and amchoor influenced masala is so addictive, once you try out you'd always make them this way.
|Flour||2 1/4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) ((((as needed))))|
|Potatoes||7 , boiled, refrigerated and mashed|
|Cumin powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Whole kasoori methi||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Kasoori methi powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Red chili powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Amchoor powder||1 1/2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Black salt||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Chili flakes||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Coriander seeds||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Garam masala||1/4 Teaspoon|
1. For Dough : Add flour, salt, ajwain and oil to a mixing bowl. Rub the flour with oil, once it resembles breadcrumbs, add little water at a time to form a stiff dough.
2. Cover the formed dough with a damp cloth for 2 hours.
3. For Masala : In a mixer, add in mint, coriander, green chili, ginger and blend to a paste using minimal water.
4. Heat a pan, pour in 2 tsp oil, add all the spices red chili powder, chili flakes, coriander powder, crushed kasoori methi, amchoor powder, crushed coriander seeds, fennel seeds, whole kasoori methi, cumin powder, black salt, black pepper, garam masala and salt. Roast in low heat until fragrant.
5. Add the mint coriander paste, and cook for a minute or two. Finally, add the roughly mashed potatoes and mix well with the masala. Let cool.
6. Forming Samosas : Once the dough has rested, knead the dough for a minute. Divide into 4 portions and knead down to smoothen the portions. Keep the dough portions covered with a damp cloth.
7. Roll the dough out in an oblong sheet, divide horizontally, then roll further as shown in video.
8. Smear water in half part the flat end, form a cone by sticking the wet edge. Fill the cone generously with the stuffing, smear water in the round edge and stick together as shown in video.
9. Place the formed samosas to rest until the skin feels dry and rough, approximately 30-45 minutes.
10.Warm oil to deep fry the samosas, add them in and fry in low heat until golden brown. Take them out, let rest for 20-30 minS.
11. Serve warm!