Everything about this starter is peppy from the potato fingers to the sauce. Unlike many recipes, which derive the flavour mainly from the sauce and seasonings, here the potatoes perked up with garlic and chilli powder, even before deep-frying, to make sure that the flavour seeps in right to the core. The crisp potato fingers are then tossed with more garlic, spices, sauces and of course, honey, to make mouth-watering Honey Chilli Potatoes. This sweet and spicy treat can be served as a starter or as an accompaniment for noodles or fried rice.
|Potato fingers||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Garlic paste||1 Teaspoon (lehsun paste)|
|Chilli powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Oil||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs) (For deep frying)|
|Finely chopped garlic||1 Tablespoon|
|Dry red chilli flakes||1 Tablespoon|
|Red chilli sauce||2 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped coriander||1 Tablespoon (for garnish)|
|Finely chopped spring onion greens||2 Tablespoon (for garnish)|
1. Combine the potatoes, garlic paste, chilli powder, cornflour and salt in a deep bowl with toss gently.
2. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, and deep-fry a few potato fingers at time till they turn crisp and golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper. Keep aside.
3. Heat oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the garlic and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
4. Add the chilli flakes, red chilli sauce and vinegar, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
5. Add the honey, sugar and little salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
6. Add the deep-fried potato fingers and toss well till the sauce coats the potato fingers evenly.
7. Serve immediately garnished with coriander and spring onion greens.