The desi answer to pre-fabricated burgers! Lightly buttered bread plays host to crisp and sumptuous potato tikkis, crisp lettuce and juicy carrots, with a splash of tomato ketchup too, making the Potato Tikki Sandwich a delicious meal-on-the-go. The use of green peas adds streaks of its nutty texture to the potato mix, while nigella seeds and amchur powder impart a tantalizing flavour. You will love the burst of flavours in the tikki, as well as the unique mouth-feel of crisp tikkis sandwiched between the softest of soft breads.
|For the potato tikkis|
|Mashed potatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs) (boiled and peeled)|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon (jeera)|
|Nigella seeds||1/2 Teaspoon (kalonji)|
|Finely chopped green chillies||1 Tablespoon|
|Boiled green peas||3/4 Cup (12 tbs) , mash|
|Dried mango powder||1 Tablespoon (amchur)|
|Finely chopped coriander||1 Tablespoon (dhania)|
|Oil||1 1/4 Cup (20 tbs) (For deep frying)|
|Brown bread slices||10 (lightly buttered)|
|Tomato ketchup||5 Teaspoon|
|Grated carrot||5 Tablespoon|
|Shredded iceberg lettuce||5 Tablespoon|
For the potato tikkis
1. Heat the ghee in a broad non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
2. When the seeds crackle, add the green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
3. Add all the remaining ingredients, except the cornflour, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
4. Remove from the flame and allow the mixture to cool slightly.
5. Once cooled, add the cornflour and mix well.
6. Divide the mixture into 5 equal portions and roll each portion into a flat round tikki.
7. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and deep-fry, a few tikkis at a time, till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
8. Place 2 buttered bread slices on a flat, clean and dry surface with the buttered side facing upwards.
9. Spread ½ tsp of tomato ketchup on both the buttered bread slices.
10. Place the potato tikki on a slice and put 1 tbsp of carrot and 1 tbsp of lettuce evenly over it.
11. Sandwich it using with another bread slice with the buttered-tomato ketchup side facing downwards.
12. Repeat steps 1 to 4 to make 4 more sandwiches.