This mouth-watering khichdi makes a complete meal with just a cup of curds and a papad because it is so self-contained in terms of flavours. From garlicky and tangy to mildly spicy, this delicious Palak Khichdi has everything you would love to have in a one-dish meal .With greens, rice and dal, it is really sumptuous too. Although the list of ingredients seems long, you will find that they are all common, everyday ingredients that you are sure to find in your kitchen.
|Chopped spinach||2 Cup (32 tbs) (palak)|
|Long grained rice||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (basmati)|
|Yellow moong dal||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (split yellow gram)|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 Teaspoon (haldi)|
|Garlic paste||2 Teaspoon (lehsun paste)|
|Ginger paste||1/2 Teaspoon (adrak paste)|
|Finely chopped onions||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Finely chopped tomatoes||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chilli powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Garam masala||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Cinnamon stick||1 Small (dalchini)|
|Cloves||2 (aung / lavang)|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon (jeera)|
|Curry leaves||6 (kadi patta)|
|Dry kashmiri red chillies||1 (broken into pieces)|
|Finely chopped garlic||1 Tablespoon (lehsun)|
|Finely chopped green chillies||1 Tablespoon|
1. Combine the rice and dal in a deep bowl and soak it in enough water for 30 minutes. Drain well. Keep aside.
2. Drain well, combine the rice, dal, turmeric powder, salt and 1 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
3. Combine the spinach and 2 tbsp of water in a mixer and blend till smooth. Keep aside.
4. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
5. Heat 2 tbsp of ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the garlic and ginger paste and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
6. Add the onions and tomatoes and sauté on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
7. Add the spinach purée, chilli powder and garam masala, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
8. Add the cooked dal-rice mixture, 1 cups of water and salt and, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
9. Heat the remaining 1 tbsp of ghee in a small non-stick pan, add the cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, cumin seeds , curry leaves, Kashmiri dry red chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
10. Add the garlic and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
11. Pour the tempering over the palak khichdi and mix well.
12. Serve hot with fresh curds and papad.