A Caldine or Caldinho is a traditonal curry base from Goa that is made with coconut and is quite mild and flavorful. This recipe uses Tilapia fish, but it can be made with any fish or shrimp of your choice.
Other ingredients used are tamarind, coriander, cumin and poppy seeds, onions and red chillies.
|For spice paste|
|Poppy seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Red chilies||2 , deseeded|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Grated coconut||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|For other ingredients|
|Onion||1/2 , chopped finely|
|Thai green chilies||4|
|Chopped ginger||1 Teaspoon|
|Tomato||1 , chopped finely|
|Coconut milk||400 Milliliter (1 Can)|
|Okra||10 , stem removed and slit in half|
|Boneless tilapia||1 Pound|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Grind cumin, coriander, poppy seeds, red chilies, tamarind, grated coconut, onion, garlic and turmeric into a fine paste.
2. Heat oil in a pan and saute chopped onions in it along with green chilies.
3. Throw in chopped ginger and saute that as well.
4. Add tomatoes and continue to cook until tomatoes are done.
5. Drop in the the spice mixture, stir and continue to cook. Rinse the grinder jar with water and pour it into the pan. Let everything simmer.
6. Add coconut milk, stir and season with salt. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
7. Bring everything to boil and then drop the okra. Cover and let the okra is cook until nice and tender.
8. Add the fish and cook for few minutes. Adjust for seasoning.
9. Serve with some goan rice. Enjoy.