Jalebis or Jilebi, this round spiral shaped Indian Traditional Sweet is a heavenly one! Today, I'm going to show the perfect method to make these.. After experimenting all year to make these, Right from the traditional ones using yogurt, using curd and baking soda, plain method, using baking soda, using a portion of urad dal and instant ways using yeast, using fruit salt(or eno), using baking powder and soda, using baking soda and citric acid.. But no luck.. So, I bring the perfect recipe which is Cripsy from out, Filled with Syrup Inside, is easy to make, does not get soggy, foolproof, consistent with results and ofcourse tastes better than the market ones! Do try this recipe, because there is nothing like eating a jalebi straight from the pan!
The basic problems in most ways is the jalebis are either soft. they turn soggy after keeping in syrup, turns limp, is chewy, jalebis dont take syrup in, is flat, is bread like, is yeasty and crunchy like hell as well!
So you must be thinking, what makes it perfect? What is the thing that makes it good? It is Hydro, also known as Rangkat or Rangkat Hydro.
|Plain flour||130 Gram (((1 Cup)))|
|Rangat hydro||1 Pinch|
|Baking powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (((For Deep Frying)))|
|Kesar food color||2 Pinch|
|Sugar||400 Gram (((2 Cups)))|
|Cream of tartar||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Nuts||1 Tablespoon (((For garnish)))|
|Water||1/3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
1. Take sugar in a pan. Add water and bring it up to rolling boil.
2. Add 2 tablespoon milk if the sugar syrup appears dirty. Skim off the dirt.
3. When the syrup appears clean. Add saffron food color to it.
4. Sprinkle cream of tartar, mix and set the syrup aside.
5. Take water in a bowl. Add hydro, mix well. Drop in flour and knead it well.
6. Take more water, only if required. Knead until you get the desired consistency of a smooth yet runny but stringy batter.
7. Add baking powder to the batter, mix well to create aeration.
8. Transfer the batter to a piping bag.
9. Heat 1/2 inch oil in a frying pan. Squeeze jalebi batter from the piping bag in circular fashion into the hot oil. Cook until done.
10. As soon as the jalebis are cooked, transfer them imediately to warm sugar syrup. Press the jalebis in syrup so that they are well dunked.
11. Remove from syrup. Repeat the same to make all the jalebis.
12. Garnish with nuts and saffron strands. Serve.