One look at this recipe and you know that faraal foods can be more sumptuous and often more flavorful than everyday meals! The garnish of sesame seeds and coriander is to this khichdi what a cherry is to icing! It really boosts the aroma and flavor of the Buckwheat Khichdi. As you start making this dish, you might have some concerns about the stickiness of buckwheat, and the curdled look of the buttermilk when cooked. Worry not, everything will turn out perfectly when done! Team this irresistible khichdi with Peanut Kadhi to make a satiating meal.
|Buckwheat||1 Cup (16 tbs) (kutto or kutti no daro)|
|Curd||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cumin seed||1 Teaspoon|
|Potato cubes||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (Use raw)|
|Ginger green chili paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Rock salt/Table salt||To Taste|
|Roasted and coarsely powdered peanuts||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Water||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Finely chopped coriander||1 Tablespoon (Optional)|
|Roasted sesame seed||1 Teaspoon|
1. Clean, wash and soak buckwheat in enough water for 2 hours. Drain and set aside.
2. In a bowl, add 1 cups of water and curd. Whisk well and set aside.
3. In a non-stick pan, heat oil, add cumin seeds and allow them to crackle.
4. Add potato cubes, stir occasionally and cook covered over medium flame for 2-3 minutes or until the potatoes are half cooked.
5. Reduce the flame add ginger chili paste, buckwheat, curd-water mixture, sugar, and rock salt. Stir occasionally and cook over low flame for 5-6 minutes.
6. Add roasted peanut and lemon juice. Stir and cook over medium flame for 1 minute.
7. Garnish with coriander and sesame seeds. Serve hot with peanut kadhi.